L20B

Dr. Scagpoople

So I have a 1977 620 L20b with a crap-pot of emission stuff in the exhaust and intake manifold. I know I can plug all the holes, but what other intakes can I swap to so that I can have a cleaner look and not deal with the intake stove? I would like to ditch the manifold with the egr valve stuff. Currently I have deleted as much as I can. I switched to a weber but I want a smoother looking intake. I will build a header so I don't need to worry about any egr stuff from that.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First you can't change your intake unless you also change the exhaust manifold. That said you can fit an L16/18 exhaust manifold on (as well as the non smog intake) but it has a dual outlet unlike the single one on your L20B. You would have to get a muffler shop make up a dual down pipe into one.

Will the intake ports of the L16 need to be machined to a larger diameter to fit the L20B head?

Well you can match them to the gasket but it doesn't do that much as the size increase is only as far as you can reach in with a dremel. Best intake for larger L20B size runners is the '78-'79 cars and trucks and the '80 720 truck. These are separate from the exhaust and larger diameter. It does have the bolt on EGR manifold.

First you can't change your intake unless you also change the exhaust manifold. That said you can fit an L16/18 exhaust manifold on (as well as the non smog intake) but it has a dual outlet unlike the single one on your L20B. You would have to get a muffler shop make up a dual down pipe into one.

I will be building my own header, so that shouldn't be problem.