Throttle Cable?

sycloned916

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad this topic came up. Mark and I just "learned" recently the difference on throttle cables. From what We have found, that cable as shown on ebay is a pre-1975 cable. The way that this was found out was by My purchase of the chopped cab that David Murphy sold Me. As purchased it had a hole in the firewall with a threaded bolt hole above and below to mount the cable attachment. The motor that I installed in Choptana was in a 1973 truck. Now the cable that I had looks just like this ebay one. Notice the thumb tightener at the firewall end of the cable. But Choptana's cab didnt have the threaded "input" bracket on the firewall. I asked Guy and Mark next time that they were at a wrecking yard to get Me one. When I went to Mark's a few weeks ago He gave me a "tube" that would bolt onto the firewall. No good........ I need a threaded piece, not a "tube". So off to the wrecking yards We went. What We found, and I have come to the conclusion, is that 1975 and later trucks use a "tube" type of throttle cable. I'm sorry that I cann't describe it any better than that. But 1974s (I own two) and EARLIER all have the threaded input spot welded to the firewall. What I did was to hack away around that input threaded piece off of a truck at the wrecking yard and clean it up later at home. Then drill 2 holes to mount it with bolts into the threaded holes on Choptana's firewall. The point of all this........ there are TWO DIFFERENT types of throttle cables for Datsun 620s. You already know the year of Your truck and that one on ebay should be just what You need. Look closely at Your firewall where it attaches. It's either threaded or a "tube". You don't want to get the wrong throttle cable, especially if You have to pre-pay for a non-refundable special order item. Now We all know what to look for.

Here is that photo. I believe this to be a pre-1975 throttle cable.

pre1975throttlecable.jpg

Can someone please photograph and post the 1975-79 "tube" type cable to refrence between the two? Thanks.

Actually this photo describes a little better how the pre 1975 cable works. See the shiny sliver crimped piece? That is "sandwiched" inside the threaded piece that You need on Your firewall. Then the "thumb tightener" (You can see it just above the silver piece) screws the cable in place.

pre1975throttlecable2.jpg

I have a "tube" type cable but no way right now to photograph and post it.

I'll get a pic of mine up tomorrow.But it has a springs on both ends of the cable. Autozone,Kragens,Napa and any other auto parts store are telling my it's Not Avaliable??? I even called some local auto wreckers nothing.

I was thinking of going to a bike shop and buying just a thick brake cable and making my owne.Not to sure yet.

Thanks!

Those springs look like they're there as strain reliefs, if the outer sheath isn't damaged, I'd just take it to a motorcycle shop and see if they can't silver solder the ends onto a new length of cable, providing that you have all the bits left.

Mine failed when the outer sheath deteriorated to the point that the inner cable frayed and the throttle wouldn't close, fun trip into work that was. Got the replacement at Auto Zone, as my '75 parts rig had a different firewall mount, as previously mentioned.