a14 head problems

twotoedbandit

Ok, so I've never dealt with serious valve or piston problems before, so any advice is greatly appreciated. Car is a 78 with an a14. Started it up the other day and it made a horrible noise and was obviously in bad shape. Pulled the valve cover and found a bent pushrod and what appeared to be a bent valve. Crap!!!!

So I took the head off this morning and this is what I found...%3Ca%20href=6335044996_78a6894a78.jpg">

%3Ca%20href=6334292521_06f9205d00.jpg">

So, my questions are. 1. Do I need a new head or can this be salvaged?

2. Should I replace the piston as well. There is no scoring on the cylinder wall, which is lucky and you can just barely feel where the piston was tapping.

Any input is greatly appreciated!!! My instinct says new piston and a clean head, but I'm really not sure. Thanks in advance guys!!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you just want to get the car back on the road, the piston is fine. Honestly, I've run much worse without problems, and the damage looks pretty superficial. I would just clean it up a bit to make sure no little fragments are going to come off, and run it. But, definitely new head time.

Thanks guys. If I can find a used head I'll probably go that route. Gonba take the valves out later and see how bad it scarred out the seat area and see if I want to bother with replacing the seat. Hopefully I can just find another head. I looked quickly at eBay earlier but the only ones that popped up were like 500 bucks and up. Ouch!! I appreciate the help. You guys are always super helpful.

Yeah, I wish I was on the west coast. You don't many Datsuns here in New Orleans, let alone at the salvage yard. I think I've only seen two others in the 5 years I've been here. Anyway, this is what the seat area looks like...%3Ca%20href=6335725585_8bc186e28d.jpg">

So, given the gouging that the seat caused, is it still realistic to fit an oversized seat, or would it be best to just replace the head and move on? I'm going to post in the wanted section for a head right now just in case. Anyone have any other suggestions on where to find one. Good wrecking yard to call or website to check. Probably gonna have to have it shipped, cause I doubt I'll find one in Louisiana! Thanks again guys.

Get your gaskets on Rock Auto, get a 5% discount code from the Rock Auto Thread on Ratsun, The A14 head is found in many datsun models not just the B210.

The part no for your head is 11041-H7202, which is interchangeable. I'm looking. F10 model A14 is identical. Other people here know more than me, some one will find you a head.

A14 was used in these North American Datsuns:

1975-1978 B210

1979-1982 210 (B310)

1976-1978 F10

1979-1981 310 (N10)

worldwide it was used in more models. They still make the A15 in the 2011 Nissan Serena. A15 is the same bore and used the same heads as A14 (heads vary by year, model, and country).

I found this on ebay...

offer, $100, it's the total head, it could be cracked, The last time he got an offer was in August.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-b210-310-A14-15-cylinder-head-small-chamber-/180688754071?hash=item2a11e39597&item=180688754071&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

I found this on ebay...

offer, $100, it's the total head, it could be cracked, The last time he got an offer was in August.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Datsun-b210-310-A14-15-cylinder-head-small-chamber-/180688754071?hash=item2a11e39597&item=180688754071&pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr

I found this today, seller has four nos A14 heads

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/2705979607.html

Yeah, I wish I was on the west coast. You don't many Datsuns here in New Orleans, let alone at the salvage yard. I think I've only seen two others in the 5 years I've been here. Anyway, this is what the seat area looks like...%3Ca%20href=6335725585_8bc186e28d.jpg">

So, given the gouging that the seat caused, is it still realistic to fit an oversized seat, or would it be best to just replace the head and move on? I'm going to post in the wanted section for a head right now just in case. Anyone have any other suggestions on where to find one. Good wrecking yard to call or website to check. Probably gonna have to have it shipped, cause I doubt I'll find one in Louisiana! Thanks again guys.

hey man I'm right here in baton rouge with a 79 210 sedan.

I found this today, seller has four nos A14 heads

http://portland.crai...2705979607.html

I wonder how much he wants for those, would still need quite a bit of money to get them to a usable state. Maybe a group buy or something if someone has an idea what he's asking?

there is a 75 210 and an 80 310 in the pick and pull yard near me. I'll try to make some free time this weekend to go see if they still have complete heads in the car. there seems to be a pretty steady supply of these cars here in the northwest. I might have to grab more parts when i find them for people on here. I just figured these cars were pretty common everywhere. If the parts are that rare I shouldn't be passing them up anymore.

I wonder how much he wants for those, would still need quite a bit of money to get them to a usable state. Maybe a group buy or something if someone has an idea what he's asking?

he sounds like a dick from his ad. he'll probably have to be talked down a bit once he decides on a price

Thanks for all the help guys. I've got a replacement head on the way, and found out my intake manifold had a crack as well, so I tracked down a replacement for that too. Hopefully everything will be here this weekend so I can put her back together. Picked up a gasket kit and new pushrods so I should be all ready to go! I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Thanks for all the help guys. I've got a replacement head on the way, and found out my intake manifold had a crack as well, so I tracked down a replacement for that too. Hopefully everything will be here this weekend so I can put her back together. Picked up a gasket kit and new pushrods so I should be all ready to go! I'll let you guys know how it works out.

Yeah, I got that vibe also :rolleyes:

I sent him an email asking for part numbers from the heads. I got the following reply.

From: "RandD321@aol.com" <RandD321@aol.com>Add to Contacts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nicholas, I would not trust the part numbers that I have, as I am not sure these heads are in the correct Datsun/Nissan boxes. They are in original boxes but may be mixed up. The head casting numbers are on each head. Each head has 2 numbers, they are 880 and 411--H72 and 107 290 and 408 and finally 980 and 406. These fit "A" engines 1200-1300-1400 and 1500 CC engines. Thanks for your interest--------ben

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/pts/2705979607.html

Do you have the part #, the picture is too small to see the part number. Very nice heads you have.

Best,

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message was remailed to you via: sale-7bnsg-2705979607@craigslist.org

If this email is a scam or spam please flag it now:

http://www.craigslist.org/flag/?flagCode=31&smtpid=20111116234556Ig_-IK0Q4RGffxYcStfpbw