67' WRL411 SSS wont start

Bisquick 246

I have a 67'WRL411 SSS that I cant get to start. This started back in July before I moved to Delaware. I tried getting it to run so I could use it out here. It had a issue with a spark plug wire that was bad so I replaced that and my coil looked like it was the original one so I changed that as well to a MSD one. Right before I left I was able to get it to start when I would jump it with my truck, once I would disconnect the jumper cables it would die. I didnt have time to deal with it so I just threw it in the trailer and brought it out here. Now I am trying to get it started, it wouldnt even start after hooking it up to my truck. I took the alternator to a shop to have it tested, they said it worked fine but if it was dying once I would disconnect the cables it could be the voltage regulator. I swapped that yesterday, it turned over a few times but wouldnt start. I took the battery and had it tested, it wouldnt hold a charge so I got a new one. Hooked it up, it turned over twice, now all I hear is the starter clicking. no attempts to crank at all now. Im gonna go get it tested but I dont think its the starter.. I need help so I can get this thing running to sell it or drive it before the winter hits here. Please reply here or email me @ bisquick246@comcast.net I leave to Idaho for 3 weeks starting the 11th. I want to drive this at least once this year.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, the starter wasnt bad. I came back, put it in, checked/tapped all my connections and it started right up. Idle was a little off but it ran, I took it down the block and back. Parked it and tried restarting it, nothing.. Tapped two relays on the firewall by the battery and it fired up again, restarted a few times then, after I put the hood back on I tried it one last time.. Nothing again.. Any ideas?

why you put the MSD coil in there?

They are not a match and could FRY the points.to much current draw. its a low ohm coil!!!!!!!!POINTS wants a high resisitve sytem

put the old coil back in.

if you have points still that the key. Most proplems are there when it comes to spark.

as for the starter you could put key yo the ON position than route a wire from the positive end of the battery to the starter selinoid. and if it CRANKS hard instead of clicking then its a low voltage(RESISTIVE IN KEY SWITCH) to the starter selinoid or the starter is bad.

RESISTIVE IN KEY SWITCH CAN BE FIXED BY ADDING A BLK BOX LIGHTE RELAY

If you have an automatic transmission, don't forget to clean and verify unbroken wires to the starter interlock/reverse switch on the transmission, and the connections to the ignition key / starter pull-in coil relay under the hood. This relay is close enough to the battery and has open connections that are prone to corrosion especially if you have an older style battery and not a modern sealed lead calcium low maintenance battery.

At the time I was trying to just get it started because I was short on time before I had to move to Delaware. I needed to get it in my trailer. The old one had burn marks on the connector parts, my spark plug wires were frayed so I went to Schucks, the only one they had in stock was the MSD. It was a quick fix instead of waiting 3 days to get it in. I had to get my trailer weighed quick.

They are not a match and could FRY the points.to much current draw. its a low ohm coil!!!!!!!!POINTS wants a high resisitve sytem

if you have points still that the key. Most proplems are there when it comes to spark.

as for the starter you could put key yo the ON position than route a wire from the positive end of the battery to the starter selinoid. and if it CRANKS hard instead of clicking then its a low voltage(RESISTIVE IN KEY SWITCH) to the starter selinoid or the starter is bad.

At the time I was trying to just get it started because I was short on time before I had to move to Delaware. I needed to get it in my trailer. The old one had burn marks on the connector parts, my spark plug wires were frayed so I went to Schucks, the only one they had in stock was the MSD. It was a quick fix instead of waiting 3 days to get it in. I had to get my trailer weighed quick.

• 2 months later...

So I am looking at buying bisquick's car and its still having the starting issues. For starters (haha) when the key is first turned both the ign and oil lights stay on. Anyone know what these actually indicate? Headlights and stereo work so there is a little voltage.

After that we checked battery voltage~12.5 volts. at the alt it was the same. If you turn the key all you get is a single click. I didnt have time to hotwire the starter solenoid which would verify that as an issue or not.

Anyone have any suggestions? Also id like to get a wire schematic to trace some things out with a meter.

Lastly the Relays one the right forward firewall what are these for anybody know?

I just want her to start :(