fat mat/ dynamat

kondog

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i bought a 50 sq ft roll of fatmat off ebay. in my 510, i did the inside of the quarters, the insides of all 4 door panels, most of the firewall, the whole floor and still have a shitload left over.

for $69.99 shipped. was a killer deal. the same amount in dynamat would have been over $300.

i couldnt find the stuff at lowes or home depot, and was happy to pay $70

I'll only say it once, from experience.

Make sure if you have any future plans on modding that tranny tunnel, that you put this stuff far away from where you'll eventually be cutting.

Been on my car for 3 years (Fat Mat), and let me tell you, you'll get PISSED trying to remove it. It sticks, and it's like gorilla glue. It means business.

i bought a 50 sq ft roll of fatmat off ebay. in my 510, i did the inside of the quarters, the insides of all 4 door panels, most of the firewall, the whole floor and still have a shitload left over.

for $69.99 shipped. was a killer deal. the same amount in dynamat would have been over $300.

i couldnt find the stuff at lowes or home depot, and was happy to pay $70

if 50 ft could cover your whole 510 then i think I'll be good with 25ft.m not much to cover in a 521. cant wait to lay that shit down. all i hear is motor and tranny right now. sure would be nice to be able to hear people on my earpeice when im on the phone too.

• 2 months later...

As on other threads on noise deading, keep in mind that fat mat/gorrilla skin/dynamat/repair tape, all it does is reduce vibration in the metal. A plus to your quieting of the interior is your doors getting it on the inside of the outer skin and between the door and door panel. Iff you want to see coverage example: http://community.ratsun.net/topic/18069-my-lil-mule/page__st__20

True the fire wall and front kicks are very imortant. Doesnt matter if you are taking the time to pull the dash or not, you need to grab 2 or 3 thin workout pads (cheapest route for closed cell foam)and use them as a second layer under the carpet. That will kill most of the motor and road noise in the cab. But try to get to the doors, and repair and treat all your rust issues on all surfaces BEFORE you apply. As before,feel free to PM with questions.

• 3 weeks later...