upgrade

jastrunk97

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

seriously??

using the search function will help you greatly.

in my opinion, the cheapest easiest upgrade for any L motor is gonna be a weber 32/36 carb. they are easy to tune and cheap if found used on craigslist, ebay etc.

an electronic "matchbox" distributor(if you dont already have e.i.)

2" exhaust is a good upgrade, but will cost a few bucks

a performance cam is obtainable, but useless without above upgrades

a good ka24de swap is also a good upgrade. :P

• Like 1

I have a 77 620, it was a cali model so it already had an electronic distributor (not the matchbox one but still no points)

The weber carb so far had given me a lot more fun. it wasnt too expensive (around $200 new) and went on pretty easy once you realize the instructions are just too universal and you just pull out or plug everything else. it will drop your MPG, but it will put a smile on your face when you hit the gas.

A good thermostat is also a good investment. the engine will just run better when its warmed up. Go with the 180 degree vs the 160...

Also you can upgrade your alternator, which is a big plus if you plan on running a stereo system of some kind.

I guess what should be asked is what do you want to achieve by an upgrade? more get up and go? better fuel economy? more reliability?

Not so much with the engine, but disc brakes are one upgrade that I did last weekend and am VERY happy with the results. also i have heard that if you dont have a sway bar they add a lot of fun driving (mine already had one so I cant compare before and after, just what I heard)

does anybody know any cheap and affective upgrades for the l20 in the 620?

What year is it.??

im looking for horsepower.

Dude I didn't ask that for no reason at all. There were two different heads and intake/exhaust, points and electronic distributors used on the L20B. There was also a 5 speed option and one year had a 4.11 rear end in it. It sure helps to know where you are so you can get to where you want. Knowing what you have will best determine what can best be done. Of course if all you want is a few hundred horses to go drifting then perhaps a chevy small block swap???.