INTAKE VALVE TO CLOSE FOR CONFORT

dropdatsun

Ok so i have a l20b that im building i bore it and stroke it. i has a z22 crank with ka pistons, and a u67 head with a isky stage 2 cam. now i just pick up my head from the machine shop last night and notice that the intake valve opens quiet a bit. now i wasent sure if it was going to hit my piston or not so i put some claydow on top of the piston to check my clearince. i im verry close to close for confort im thinking of adding a shim to it so that way i wont have a problem in the future. has any one else had problem with this or is it just me.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok so i have a l20b that im building i bore it and stroke it. i has a z22 crank with ka pistons, and a u67 head with a isky stage 2 cam. now i just pick up my head from the machine shop last night and notice that the intake valve opens quiet a bit. now i wasent sure if it was going to hit my piston or not so i put some claydow on top of the piston to check my clearince. i im verry close to close for confort im thinking of adding a shim to it so that way i wont have a problem in the future. has any one else had problem with this or is it just me.

Did you measure the clay's thickness? A good rule of thumb is in the neighborhood of .080". That's for higher revvin motors, and .060" is a good safe street number. I use .080 to pad myself a bit~ cuz if a rod bearing ever lets go....

Guest kamakazi620

well i did not mesure the thickness on it, but when u can see the light throw the clay i know is to close, and i havent even torque it down yet.

Was the Headgasket on when you did this???? if it was get a thicker gasket and try again,was the head shaved at all???

I don't see why you'd have any issues. I have flat tops in my 20B, which come right even with the deck, and with a rally cam, don't have any issues of hitting and that's with a U60 (same as U67) head. Your KA pistons have 2.5 cc of dish roughly if you're using the truck pistons, considering the Z20E pistons I have have no dish and slight valve reliefs that only fit the Z head anyway, I wouldn't think you're all that close.

ok i think i have found out im having a problem the pistons thati got are from a early ka, the ka24de has a deaper dish than the ka24e. and i have the ka24e my friend came over yesturday and he said that with a shim i should be just fine he has acouple races cars that he runs, he knows what hes doing. i dont think that theres been any work done to it before every thing look good wen i pulled it apart