value of NOS parts

Radiant-Designer

An old Datsun mechanich used to race a 510 but it had a L20B engine in it becuase it was up to 2000cc, anwy-who he has a bunch of NOS parts (bearings, timing kits etc) and I was kinda excited. He said he would have to get like $250 for all of them, so Im not sure. Nothing is wrong with my engine right now but it would be good to have a spare.

so my question boils down to whats the actual value here? are these things worth picking up (I know its hard to tell since I dnt have a list of whats there) but are they easy to get after market (or even as good) If I got them should I have an issue selling off any doubles to ratsuners? what would be a fair price for something like head bolts, timing kit, bearings, etc?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

First, you need to get a complete list of his parts.

Second, they have to be Nissan parts preferably in boxes or bags with the part numbers (so they can be correctly identified)/Nissan logo/or obviously Nissan/Hitachi/NABCO/ATCO or similar suppliers names on them. Otherwise they could be NAPA parts bought 25 years ago.

Third, it would be good to know what they were worth to buy then and what they are worth to buy now. For example they may be still available for the same price now so you could offer less for them. They could be totally non available now and so worth much more to the right person when you sell.

Yeah I figured the not having a list of what he had would be a big issue.

They are all in Datsun boxes with the Datsun logos all over them.

I would think comparing it to rock auto would be comparing apples to oranges, its not the same.... I dont know how more desirable the NOs is over an aftermarket, I try to keep OEM with engine parts as much as I can.

I do know he had 2 timing kits

2 sets of head bolts

bearings

Ill see him again in about a week and try to figure out what else he has. I was hoping someone would be able to say "yeah you could get $x.xx for a head bolt set, and $y.yy for the timing kit" so I at least had some idea if it was a good deal or a rip off or what.