Blow by

Sealik

I'm wondering what is the acceptable amount of air (blow by) for a recent rebuild (LZ23)?

Seems to be a lot of air coming out of the oil fill cap on the valve cover.

Zero oil consumption....compression is 173 + - 3 across the board.

About 3000 kms on engine.

New pistons/rings

Assuming the rings haven't seated yet.....or the rings (end) gaps are all lined up????

http://youtu.be/1JR1onIaxRA

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug it's more usual (at idle) to put your hand over the hole and slight vacuum will build. At idle the PCV valve keeps the inside of the crankcase below atmospheric pressure... slightly.

PCV working?

Screen in block plugged?

Doug it's more usual (at idle) to put your hand over the hole and slight vacuum will build. At idle the PCV valve keeps the inside of the crankcase below atmospheric pressure... slightly.

PCV working?

Screen in block plugged?

PCV rattles and seems to be functional

Screen was cleaned and refitted during rebuild.

I'll go out and see if my engine sucks... :D

IIRC my leakdown tester's documentation stated 5%... much more than that and you better buy stock in your favorite oil company~ get up into the teens and you best get your blue cloud generator home ASAP b4 peeps start throwing rocks at it....

If you don't have one and suspect a problem you could also tee (or block the vacuum side & hook it straight to the VC~ a cork makes a great adapter) a vacuum/pressure gauge directly into the PCV line, using as large and short a hose as possible so as not to dampen the signal, run engine and observe for large/varied vac/pressure pulses, and pull plug wires to isolate....

IIRC my leakdown tester's documentation stated 5%... much more than that and you better buy stock in your favorite oil company~ get up into the teens and you best get your blue cloud generator home ASAP b4 peeps start throwing rocks at it....

If you don't have one and suspect a problem you could also tee (or block the vacuum side & hook it straight to the VC~ a cork makes a great adapter) a vacuum/pressure gauge directly into the PCV line, using as large and short a hose as possible so as not to dampen the signal, run engine and observe for large/varied vac/pressure pulses, and pull plug wires to isolate....

Yup...already tested... :D

Actual readings. Same on all 4 cylinders

P9040021.jpg

2-3 per cent loss

Of note....the engine has a miss, and cannot locate it.

Bad when cold....better when warm.

My theory is.....there is a leak at the IM and head, between intake (1 and 2) runners.

Vacuum gauge is low and fluctuating when cold...smooths out when warm at 19lbs.

Probably has nothing to do with the air (blow by)...but worth mentioning

Doug that 2-3% is only true at the TDC position don't forget. Just for giggles set the piston at BDC or even lock motor in gear with the parking brake on and test with piston half way down the cylinder. The cylinder could be oval or tapered or damaged in some way allowing gasses out further down but not at the top. I guess you will have to temporarily pop the rocker arms off that cylinder.

Doug that 2-3% is only true at the TDC position don't forget. Just for giggles set the piston at BDC or even lock motor in gear with the parking brake on and test with piston half way down the cylinder. The cylinder could be oval or tapered or damaged in some way allowing gasses out further down but not at the top. I guess you will have to temporarily pop the rocker arms off that cylinder.

Yeah I know.... :)

I'll do another leak down test later today

I know what I'll be doing this winter..... :angry:

Pistons at BDC...bottom of stroke, Tester set at 90lbs/compressor at 100lbs

1...83 lbs...8% loss

2...79 lbs...12%

3...79 lbs...12%

4...82 lbs...9%

All pistons half way down (or up)

1...82 lbs/9%

2...77 lbs/14%

3...80 lbs/11%

4...82 lbs/9%

As usual...No 2 plug fouled during warmup.

More numbers.

Checked 1 and 3 cold

Tester set at 90lbs

No 1...80lbs/ cylinder up, 80lbs cylinder down.

No 3...76lbs cylinder up, 76lbs cylinder down

A little less than with the engine warm yesterday....1-3 lbs

That's the 'good' news.... :blink:

The bad news is my readings at TDC have also gone for a shit....not 2-3 percent loss anymore

This time when I did the leak down test (engine warm), I did No 3 first

No 3

23 lbs piston up...23 lbs piston down, intake valve is leaking. Can hear the leak trough the carb and TC cover

Checked twice...rockers removed

No 2

About 76lbs

No 1

Around 82lbs

No 4...didn't bother....

Basically all the pistons have the same shitty numbers...up or down in cylinder

Which would explain some of the issues.....engine is cold/choked and 'no' leaking intake valve.....not too bad of a miss.

Engine warms up....choke opens, No 3 intake valve starts leaking(???), combined with these less than stellar leakdown tests...runs like shit

Yeah that's what I figured....I did open and close it with a bar a few times, with no improvement.

Was kind of loosing interest and or hope about that time though.... :(

And yes...I did feel like hitting (smashing) it with a plastic (steel) hammer... :D

Could be some crud that dislodged keeping the valve from seating.

I'll do a leakdown test on No 3 without removing any rockers.

That 'blowby' was there when I first started up the engine.

I mentioned it in another thread...and was suggested that there will be a little until the rings seat.

Never thought anything about it again until I started the engine a couple of weeks ago without the oil fill cap.

Then I noticed....

Compression was low just after I got it running...around 125

Kept creeping up to about the 170 it is today.

So...I'm thinking that if I didn't have any issues, the compression readings would be closer to 200?

Piston to cylinder clearance is .025-.045 (.0010-.0018)

Double that and add to piston size...equals appropriate bore?

Correct?

Sure as shit they overbored....

Maybe.... :blink: ...Hopefully, then I would have some (more) proof of their incompetence... :D

Shall be measuring...ASAP

Piston to cylinder clearance is .025mm-.045mm (.0010"-.0018")

Double that and add to piston size...equals appropriate bore?

Correct?

Between 1 and 2 thou inch all the way round I think. No piston is exactly 89mm and can range from 88.965 to 89.015mm. That's just shy or 2 thou inch. This is why the piston for any cylinder should be supplied to the person who is doing the boring so he can measure them. Best if they are just under and you hone the difference out.

Pulled the engine/head....noticed a lot of carbon on the backside of the intake valves and stems.

Exhaust valves are clean.

Assuming this is from the PCV connection sucking that crap (blow by) though the intake....?

P1010004-2.jpg

Notice the tops of the pistons are not all the same....No 1 is a lot cleaner.

P1010003-2.jpg