help car wont start on hot wire

sam

hi , so I got a 1969 510 ( first 510 , i always own 280z and 260z ) and I did the l20b freshly rebuild swap with a peanut head ( high compression head with 280z valves ) blah blah blah head work , either way i finished he build and i have a universal wiring harness so that i can have it brand new. my buddy give me directions in how to hot wire the car just to start it up .... here it goes

i checked if everthing was TDC and it was , just no spark ?

battery is connected , + to the starter and - to the starter bolt then a ground to the block and body

battery + wire to the + coil bolt

battery - wire to the - coil bolt

coil - bolt grounded and then another wire of the - to the dizzy plug on the top part of the T connector

coil + bolt wire to the vertical part of the T connector of the dizzy

and the just a dummy wire to activate he starter .... here is the issue

first time the coil got super hot and i had no spark anywhere , it was a ACCEL coil so i returned it and switched it with a MSD blaster 2 since those can use 12v directly but still no spark or anything . so i assumed that the dizzy is shot ....

so i down graded and got a single point distributor took the old one off and i have worst issues , the once i connected the negative and positive the positive wire got so hot and i took it off quickly so i couldn't try it ...ohhh( every time i connect the possitive and negative to the battery to activate the coil sparks come out the battery )

at this point i have no idea if im HOT WIRING the car correctly , please some one help me or guide with this issue because i need to turn on this car ..

how can i check if i really did fry my electronic distributor,

how do i hot wire my car properly

why dont i have spark???

sorry if i left out any info , i hope some one can help me asap .... i have no car and i need to finish this project to get to work soon :((( thank you

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi , so I got a 1969 510 ( first 510 , i always own 280z and 260z ) and I did the l20b freshly rebuild swap with a peanut head ( high compression head with 280z valves ) blah blah blah head work , either way i finished he build and i have a universal wiring harness so that i can have it brand new. my buddy give me directions in how to hot wire the car just to start it up .... here it goes

i checked if everthing was TDC and it was , just no spark ?

battery is connected , + to the starter and - to the starter bolt then a ground to the block and body

battery + wire to the + coil bolt

battery - wire to the - coil bolt

coil - bolt grounded and then another wire of the - to the dizzy plug on the top part of the T connector

coil + bolt wire to the vertical part of the T connector of the dizzy

and the just a dummy wire to activate he starter .... here is the issue

first time the coil got super hot and i had no spark anywhere , it was a ACCEL coil so i returned it and switched it with a MSD blaster 2 since those can use 12v directly but still no spark or anything . so i assumed that the dizzy is shot ....

so i down graded and got a single point distributor took the old one off and i have worst issues , the once i connected the negative and positive the positive wire got so hot and i took it off quickly so i couldn't try it ...ohhh( every time i connect the possitive and negative to the battery to activate the coil sparks come out the battery )

at this point i have no idea if im HOT WIRING the car correctly , please some one help me or guide with this issue because i need to turn on this car ..

how can i check if i really did fry my electronic distributor,

how do i hot wire my car properly

why dont i have spark???

sorry if i left out any info , i hope some one can help me asap .... i have no car and i need to finish this project to get to work soon :((( thank you

The coil - is grounded through the module (if EI) or the points to ground. You do not ground this terminal or the coil will never fire.If left too long the coil is going to overheat.

The coil - is grounded through the module (if EI) or the points to ground. You do not ground this terminal or the coil will never fire.If left too long the coil is going to overheat.

Ok if I get this right.thanks for writing back. We got power to b+ to the coil. Coil positive to battery and - grounded to the battery and body not to coil. Coil is still getting hot. And its a 12v dissy not points. Wat other steps should I take.... could a bad dissy make this happen?

Well, in operation with the key on the module grounds the coil to generate a magnetic field. When cranking (or running) every time the reluctor signals, the module removes the ground briefly, the magnetic field collapses and generates a high voltage spark in the secondary windings. So any time the key is on there is current flow through the coil and it gets warm.

If it is getting hot, I mean really HOT maybe you do not have an EI coil in there. If you are using the points coil that will be a problem.

You should have put the 12volt wire on the +side coil from battery(allegator clip)

Match Box with MSD coil

B goes to +side coil

C goes to - side coil

hit the selinoid with a 12volt wire to crank the starter

Of coarse the + side battery is to starter lug

- side batter is ground to block or head

when done running car pull the +side wire to coil

You could have poped soemthing( Good Luck yourll need your friends help now for sure)

So I checked the dizzy with a oum meter to the B and C and it reads nothing. My guess is there is no continuey power so something is fried on the dizzy, if so is there any way of fixing it? ??

For there to be continuity to ground on the C terminal of the module, there would have to be +12 on the B terminal to turn it on don't you think? Because the module is the ground for the coil, the distributor must be firmly and electrically grounded. Also you didn't get back about the coil. Is it a points coil? Having the negative side grounded to the body may have simply fried the coil. I'd check the continuity of the coil primary.

Ok I have a crazy theoretical idea. I have a e12-80 for my 280z . Could I just take out the point or things to convert it to 4 point so it can work for my 510 ???

If you have the E12-80 module on your 280dizzy, just borrow it and put on your 510 4 cylinder dizzy to see it that fixes it. Make sure it's an E12-80 and not the later E12-93 module with a second set of wires that go on the left side...

L24Eignition003Large.jpg

For there to be continuity to ground on the C terminal of the module, there would have to be +12 on the B terminal to turn it on don't you think? Because the module is the ground for the coil, the distributor must be firmly and electrically grounded. Also you didn't get back about the coil. Is it a points coil? Having the negative side grounded to the body may have simply fried the coil. I'd check the continuity of the coil primary.

If you have the E12-80 module on your 280dizzy, just borrow it and put on your 510 4 cylinder dizzy to see it that fixes it. Make sure it's an E12-80 and not the later E12-93 module with a second set of wires that go on the left side...

L24Eignition003Large.jpg

basically i cant test the module when its out of the car with the ohms meter because its not grounded , it has to tested when its tightlly on the car then ....

ok the coil i have is not a point coil , its a 12v msd blaster 2 , its the same coil as the one on the picture you posted . how can i test the coil to see if its still good ?

ohh Doctor Death is coming friday to check everything and help me so cross your fingers please?

You should have put the 12volt wire on the +side coil from battery(allegator clip)

Match Box with MSD coil

B goes to +side coil

C goes to - side coil

hit the selinoid with a 12volt wire to crank the starter

Of coarse the + side battery is to starter lug

- side batter is ground to block or head

when done running car pull the +side wire to coil

You could have poped soemthing( Good Luck yourll need your friends help now for sure)

now i understand lol i mested up on running a negative from the battery to the coil also :( now my worries are if i fried the coil or the dizzy , thats what i need to check now ... thank you for all your help guys . as soon as i figure out how to upload pictures i will do so , im lost lol

Ok I found out that my module was bad so now I'm putting the point on and I had to change the points to a new one ans its only one point ( single) and I need some guide how to time it and to make sure I can have this dizzy correct on to start it ... I wasn't sure which one has to stay open or close

I believe the points closest to the engine will be the main points to use. It will use the bigger condensor

With points youll run a point resisiatnce coil and the ballast resisitor.

blk/ wht wire goes to ballast then other side will go to the + side coil.

Point car/truck will also have a HOT STart wire that goes directly to the coil during the start position with the key as it bybasses the ballast resisitor to give more current as the starter draws alot of power.

make sure rotor is clocked right as matchboxes dizzys and L16 dizzys the rotor will point in a different direction