1978 datsun dolphin housecar

so it actually is a factory house car? wow, very interesting. yeah maybe try to get some pictures of the interior. is it a walkthrough? that'd be wicked. and how is it going down the road? i know my 620 kinda wonders but that may be because my tires are too wide for my rims, but i feel like that would be tippy and wander-y

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

but not great, was only running on1- 3 cyl.'s and had spark at the plug so i removed the valve cover and found that the rocker on the #4 cyl had fell off. so i put it back on and now it runs alot better.

Forgot to mention there should be a small lash pad between the rocker arm and the top of the valve stem. It sits in a small cup on the top of the valve retainer. If the rocker came off the lash pad would certainly fly off. Did you find it and put it back??????

so it actually is a factory house car? wow, very interesting. yeah maybe try to get some pictures of the interior. is it a walkthrough? that'd be wicked. and how is it going down the road? i know my 620 kinda wonders but that may be because my tires are too wide for my rims, but i feel like that would be tippy and wander-y

It is a factory unit, It goes down the road very nicely accually i thought the same thing. but no much wondering it accually rides pretty well. and i will be posting more picts of the outside as well as the inside as soon i can probly thursday or friday with the pictures. i think it has huge potential. theres one on e-bay same yr. the only other one iv'e seen besides the other one her in my town. and its identical to mine.

Forgot to mention there should be a small lash pad between the rocker arm and the top of the valve stem. It sits in a small cup on the top of the valve retainer. If the rocker came off the lash pad would certainly fly off. Did you find it and put it back??????

yes did find the lash pad and put back on. so far it hasnt came off again but haven't run it very much only to time ect. still have to adjust the valves on my day off .

That's maybe the only tag but it's not the Nissan one. Could be the one from the conversion company. Nissan didn't make anything called a housecar. Maybe a picture of the tag??????

will take a pict of the tag on the inside of the drivers door jam and post, the only aluminum tag i have found is on the drivers side by fender well but hard to cant read much of it ill post a pict of it as well. vinl # starts with ehl620 and is on the tag on inside of door.

That's maybe the only tag but it's not the Nissan one. Could be the one from the conversion company. Nissan didn't make anything called a housecar. Maybe a picture of the tag??????

dolphin is the camper company that did the camper part and theres seperate tags on it. i originally thought it was called a datsun dolphin motorhome till i started looking into it.

nice! :cool:

lack of regular adjustment likely caused it to fall out.

thats exacly what i was thinking it looks as though not very much has been done to it at all and when i took the valve cover off it looked as though it hadn't ever been removed before. it looks to be in very in original condition. time for some healthy maintence. nothing looks like its been touched since it rolled off the floor. except matbe oil filter and reg maintence.

Hope i did this right!! but if you can see theres lots of work to do to inside. My main concern is to get it running really good right now.

Also adjusted the valves and must have got them a little to tight cause its running rougher than it was before. went by the factory service manual for a 78 620 i read on a thread somewhere that to adjust when the lobes are in the 2 and 10 o'clock position would that have been a better way. any ideas. other than go back in and adjust again.