521 Wheel bearing washer

Now I know why my outter wheel bearing is toast. The washer that seperates and protects the bearing was missing!!! Ive got the wheel bearing race out(figured out a cool trick to help me), and now Im ready for reassembly.

I have part numbers 40037-04100 and 40264-E3200. How do I tell which one I need? I dont see a date of succession on the part. I dont want to toast this new bearing and NEED THIS TRUCK TO TAKE THE BIKE TO THE CABIN TOMMAROW!!

Please help. Im researching now to try n find a solution.

My trick to knock the race out was as follows. Dont have a vice so I put the hub back on the wheel and used two lugs to hold it still. Made life super easier!!!Got the old race right out!

Thanks

Jeff

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the replies. Im fixing to crash for the night. I have a headache from this day. Ill post some pics up of what I was talking about.

If you bolt the hub back to the wheel, you can have both hands free for pounding on the race to knock it back out.

Getting up early in the a.m. to rig that bitch back up.

Thanks again

Jeff

Well, I lied. I cant sleep and it supposed to be shitty weather(but oh pound the gods, do we need rain) tommarow, so im fixing to run back to the bowling center and go through the shop and see if I cant find something similar to the washer with the notch. There is a chance of that. I used to work in the back and seem to remember us using a washer like that on the back of the gear boxes to align the drive pully up with the motors. If I cannot find one, ill just grab a washer for the time being.

With the hub bolted back to the wheel, you have both hands free. Also, it gets the hub back off the ground so that once the race gets flush with the hub, you can continue to drive it out. Sure someones thought of it before, but wanted to share it.

Thanks Again

Jeff

Unless im misreading the fsm, it shows and reads that you use a brass punch and a mallet to tap it out. There are two flat spots 180 degrees apart that worked well to knock it out. That bitch was in there. The wheel helps keep it still. Had no bench or vice to work on.

And I came up empty on any thing to use at work for the washer. Ill have to go to a hardware store in the morn. Will call local dealership to see if they might just have one.

I dont know how to post the fsm, its on a pdf file. But a pic of my cabin shifter!! :)

033.jpg

035.jpg

Sold the last bud draft tonight. Loosing its place to yeungling. But this will be fun!

Thanks