bogging down

Datsy620

Okay. So I drive the datsun running good.( Rebuilt the carb. Put new brakes. New booster. New wheel cylinder. New master cylinder. ) drives nice and smooth :)) but know that I'm trying to take it on the freeway it boggs down and turns off :(( what can be the problem. Please help. This is my daily driving. Really appreciate it. Thank you.

DATSY <3

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

was anything done to the ignition system? Any thing ?before this brake swap stuff Did it run fine?

if yes only thing I could trace it back to is the carb rebuild. Maybe your running out of gas. Fuel float or needle valve stuck for the fuel comming in carb to fill it up.

stock or Weber carb?

next time this happens right away go to the carb and take aircleaner off and cycle the gas if there is no squirting of gas from the accel pump then you know your carb ran out of gas. Try tapping on the carb where the fuel line goes in to carb and maybe the needle is stuck. or when you rebuil the carb you set it down and bent the fuel float arm.

If you but in another coil is it correct one? Does it feel hot?ballast resisitor removed

Points or electronic ignition?

need to get more specific.

brake booster vaccum line tight?

see if you gas coming out of hose (before the carb), what about your fuel filter? Isolate. If you have gas? how old is the fuel filter?, not sure about the stock carb but 32/36 weber has built in fuel filter, tehy get dirty too. Yeh, check your coil after a drive, pull over somewhere safe, and check to see if hot or put the old one back, assuming this worked before, and see if that's what it is.

Forgot to mention, how's your gas tank? I remember mine (510)doing this not too long ago and had silicon snake and got suck in by the pick up tube in the fuel tank. The owner before me must have put silicon around,where the wire for the gas gauge, goes to. Then later found out my needle valve on 32/36 weber was all messed up. All of this cause my spark plugs to get carbon fouled.

Change the filter. They're cheap $5-$7 and no harm done if this doesn't help.

Next time it bogs, as quickly as possible get it out of gear and the ignition off (you have to be quick at this to catch it) and pull over safely. Lift the air filter and look at the glass front of the level bubble. Is the gas up on the line or is the chamber empty/low? If dry either the fuel filter is clogged, the float is set too high or there is debris at the fuel inlet screen/needle on the carb.

okay. so today i changed the fuel filter. i did an oil change. put a new air filter as well.

yes i do have a new coil in it. i have points (sadly)

well after the oil change and stuff i take datsy around the block and she still turned off on me :/

oh and to be specific. yesterday it bogged down once i hit fifty.. today when i took her around the block i was slowing down and then it would turn off. and then i would let it rest for a few mins. turn her back on. then when i trying going in first or second gear it like pulls back and accelerated with a force :/

what can it be.?

i really appreciate your help. thank you so much

Did you look at the Items we listed for you to ck when this happens??????

I asked you;

next time this happens right away go to the carb and take aircleaner off and cycle the gas if there is no squirting of gas from the accel pump then you know your carb ran out of gas. Try tapping on the carb where the fuel line goes in to carb and maybe the needle is stuck. or when you rebuil the carb you set it down and bent the fuel float arm.

Datzenmike asked you; pretty much the same.

If you put in another coil is it correct one? Does it feel hot?ballast resisitor removed

a oil change and air filter wasnt going to help this anyways.

Ck what we told you to ck.

and let us know what you see and Feel(hot coil?) when this happens again.

Trouble shoot this.

okay so i checked what you guys told me .. sorry i didnt before.

so i tried to drive it around the block right now and it turned off. so.. i pulled over to the side and quickly opened my hood and checked the carb. it still had gas in it.

i felt the coil and it was hot. i havent removed the ballast resistor

Like Hot to the touch??????? or do you thinkits just from the motor heat? I will assume hot to the touch.

OK Im only guessing hear sitting on my ass on the computer. I really dont work on car much.

But I would take the center coil wire from the distributor cap out, place it near( say 1/4 to 1/8 inch) the chassis like a metal bolt and reach in with your right hand and start the truck. See if spark jumps to the bolt. If not coil might be the wrong one.

where you get this coil? what type is it ? is it a 620 model year specific .

Or you just grab the COOLEST coil you show in the store? It does matter.

also ck your points also. If the wrong coil is installed the points will be burning up faster or the coil could satuarate out.

when ordering a coil you should get the model year coil for your truck from the store as it will be for a Point system and have a higher resisitance and work with the ballast.

This is just one guessas you did do soem work on your truck and alway best to do one at a time incase you indroduced a proplem. Its has happen to me. Change to new points and then it dont run! Yes it happens. But old back in works. hen put new in ,it works. Guess I grounded soemthing out. This could also be a cause. ck inside the dizzy to make sure its tight and what needs to be isolated as yi do have plactic to separate also inside the condensor.

Datzenmike or GGzilla can take over or some one else

so i tried to drive it around the block right now and it turned off. so.. i pulled over to the side and quickly opened my hood and checked the carb. it still had gas in it.

I said to quickly get it out of gear and the ignition off. You don't want the motor to keep turning or it may fill the empty carb up while slowing down and pulling over. You have to catch this thing in the act. It's good you changed the filter, this is usually the cause of what you describe. It still might be a clogged filter screen or the inlet jet below it or the float may be set wrong.

Checking this is easy and costs you nothing and can show a fuel delivery problem OR show everything is fine and move on to the next thing.

with vapor lock, it usually won't want to start after. Remedied by making choke, like wrapping a sweater around the air filter and starting where it wouldn't have before. then it drives like a champ. The person to listen to as far as diagnosis and solution is datzenmike, he knows his shit, especially in a stock motor, and I have no doubt that if you listen to him closely, you'll find your problem and solve it.

Vapor lock is a good one but I assume nothing was changed there.

Datsy you could put the old coil point ,condensor back in and if you still have the same proplem then I would look more at the carb.

I worked On Tansa 521 and it would run and seem to die off certaian times. Also the Accel pump on carb looked a little bad but I called it good. then bam truck wnr bad again. I swapped out the carb for a Weber than was fine after that. So when the truck dies again ck immediately the carb function. cyle the gas. this will tell you if the carb gas gas in it. soee if a nice steady stream when carb linkage is cycled

coil up date:

If you do have a EI coil it should not gewt HOT.

But since they are a lower ohm value the POINTS and CONDENSOR might not be able to handle the extra current

Hmm. hot coil...perhaps primary okay then secondary windings bad, explains it when you said that when you got on the freeway. Yes, that happened to me, too, driving back from Stockton area and luckily there was a Kragens by the freeway, Dublin area and had them check out the coil. No Good...got another one and no problem. Good Luck and let us know what happend.

do any of you know where i can get a weber carb for cheap though. i thought about it and i was thinking of just throwing a weber carb for datsy. i seen that they are a bit pricey so i was wondering if some of you know where i can get a cheaper one. please let me know asap thank you very much i need it for a 73 datsun 620 with an l20 :)) thank you so much :))

Datsy<3