L18 cam sprocket bolt is stuck?

FiveSeventyZee

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well bad news. my head has a hole from corrosion leaking coolant into the exhaust port. this is what caused my overheat and eventually head gasket failure.

as of now my options are

-continue with machining and weld the hole for $200-300 depending on if I get the valves done

-find a new head

-find a new engine

seeing as I have time constraints finding a new head may not be the best idea as I don't see any for sale on my local craigslist.

I have found a rebuilt L16 with a cam for $500.

welding the hole up would get it to hold a seal but won't guarantee any time length that my head will stay suitable. this is because there are more areas of corrosion on the head and the same thing could happen again at almost any time. but would be the cheapest option at just under $200 if I bypass lapping the valves or if I do that myself.

The problem I have with a new ngine is that I was hoping to swap to a KA at some point not too far off. so I feel like I could just do the bare minimum to get this engine back together and past the fix it ticket and hope that if/when this happens again I have a KA ready to go in as I was planning on buying a KA to rebuild and possibly build up while I continue to run my L18 anyways.

Any advice from the rat gods?