just picked up a 1970

bustedknuckles

Did the early 521s with the J13 have a carrier bearing? I realize this is a 1970 tagged truck, but that doesn't mean it is a 1970, people move the vin plates as per needed. There is also the possibility that the carrier mount frame brace has been cut out so a one piece driveline could be used, it is hard to say what tranny is in there, is reverse all the way to the left and up(dogleg), or to the right and down? I suspect it is right and down, and is a longshaft 5 spd. Does it whine/make noise when in gear with the clutch pushed in not moving? Does it whine/make noise when in neutral with the clutch out? Do you have play/movement at the slave cyl. push rod to the clutch fork?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

no it is not a dog leg its a standard i wish it was a dog leg my girlfriend has one in her 79 kc that i want to steal from her... there is no play in the slave i had a new one that i threw on when i bled the clutch. it only makes the noise when in gear and it is loudest at lower rpms 5th gear is the worst. and i dont think the vin plates where changed around im the third owner of the truck the original owner had it from new and then gave it to his 16 year old daughter who blew up the l16 that was in it and then he put the l20b in there and sold it to the fella who i got it from and the guy that i got it from put the tranny in there because the original owner could figure out how to make the bracket for the tranny i will get under the truck tomorrow and take some pictures

The slave rod needs play/movement, otherwise it has pressure against the throwout bearing which will then turn full time, if it turns full time, it will eventually start howling/vibrating and eventually it will seize. A regular 5 spd. tranny is better than a dogleg, dogleg transmissions are car trannys, they are expensive, and if used in a truck that is used as a truck, they won't last 2 years, I should know, I went threw 3 of them in 4 1/2 years. Does the whine get worse the faster you go, or the higher the engine rpms are? I use the 1985-6 shortshaft 5 spd. out of the 720 trucks with the L block tranny case, it lasted over 5 years this time, considering how I use the truck, I am styling.

so i do have a little bit of play in the rod on the slave. the whine is a higher pitch the faster i go and tends to quiet a bit once i hit freeway speeds but is still there. my girlfriend just uses hers as a driver she doesnt haul anything with it thats what her turbo powerstroke is for. seeing where all of u guys live sure makes me wish i was still in vantucky i lived in orchards off of 49th for 15 years.

no noise in neutral when idling only when in gear and driving the shaft doesnt have any pressure on the fork i am able to wiggle it around a little bit it is not excessive but enough. im not sure if i will be able to check the rear end and the ujoints out today my daughter is around and i have a couple of antique vending machines ive been restoring for a guy that i need to clear coat today. i will let u guys know after i get the time to check them out. thank you everyone for all of your help. in the world of datsuns i would be lost with out ratsun

well the 521 and i had a fun experience... left my girlfriends house the other night and apparently my alternator went bad so my lights and everything shat out on some back roads going home finally found a good spot to pull over made a call and got picked up went home grabbed another alternator that had been laying around in my garage and was pretty sure it was still good thinking to myself sweet now i dont have to spend any cash... WRONG i got back to the truck threw it in there in the dark and it was shit... said f it went home and jumped it in the morning and drover her home so off to napa in the next day or 2. Oh i also changed out her water pump a couple days before this happened before to long she will hopefully be road worthy haha

well the 521 and i had a fun experience... left my girlfriends house the other night and apparently my alternator went bad so my lights and everything shat out on some back roads going home finally found a good spot to pull over made a call and got picked up went home grabbed another alternator that had been laying around in my garage and was pretty sure it was still good thinking to myself sweet now i dont have to spend any cash... WRONG i got back to the truck threw it in there in the dark and it was shit... said f it went home and jumped it in the morning and drover her home so off to napa in the next day or 2. Oh i also changed out her water pump a couple days before this happened before to long she will hopefully be road worthy haha

Are you sure it is the alt? There is a voltage regulator there also, take the old alt. that you pulled to the parts store and see if they can check it.

the alt i put in is one of the internally regulated ones. same with the kind i took out

The 1970 datsun 521 did not have internally regulated alternators, but they basicly look the same. This is what the plug going to the voltage regulator will look like if you install an internally regulated alternator in a 521 wiring harness, jumper wires will need to be used. You can see the digital voltage regulator behind the plugs.

DSCN1039.jpg

DSCN1040.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

mine was doing that too and it turned out it was a dirty fusebox terminal. wiggle the headlight fuse while the lights are on and see if that fixes it. if it does then that's probly it. if not, time to bust out the old wiring diagram.

• 3 weeks later...