Chevy 283 v8 in my 74 620?

Mulisha620

Hey 620 guys I had something else I wanted to run by you...

Before I bought my 620 I had a 66 El Camino- I have since sold my elky but I kept the original 283 v8 (short stroke, small displacement, more rev's) and the Muncie 4 speed too.

I am getting my 620 together and am getting ready to get it back on the road, after I get leaf springs, tires, and either rebuild my stock carb or install this Weber 32/36 I just found in my garage- And when I get it going I'm planning on leaving it stock for quite a while.

But eventually I'd like to do something different- I'm sure it's an old subject and it's been discussed to death, but what's the common census on throwing a small block Chevy into a 620??

Has anyone done it? or are there any killer pictures of any v8 620s out there?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey 620 guys I had something else I wanted to run by you...

Before I bought my 620 I had a 66 El Camino- I have since sold my elky but I kept the original 283 v8 (short stroke, small displacement, more rev's) and the Muncie 4 speed too.

I am getting my 620 together and am getting ready to get it back on the road, after I get leaf springs, tires, and either rebuild my stock carb or install this Weber 32/36 I just found in my garage- And when I get it going I'm planning on leaving it stock for quite a while.

But eventually I'd like to do something different- I'm sure it's an old subject and it's been discussed to death, but what's the common census on throwing a small block Chevy into a 620??

Has anyone done it? or are there any killer pictures of any v8 620s out there?

Don't know why you would.

Datsun 620 V8

Ratsun has TOPICS and FORUMS for posts! Sometimes it's fun to look.

Yup, it's been done more than a couple times. If you proceed you'll probably have as many critics as fans. I won't say you shouldn't do it. I would suggest you do tons of research and have twice the cash on hand that you think you'll need. With any big engine/small car swap, there are 3 major things that will take the fun and enjoyment out of the end product. Cooling, weight, too much torque. I actually disagree with ggzilla on one point. The 283's lack of grunt is a good thing. It helps with traction and should be just fine with the 620's H190 rearend. Sure, you could fit a 450+ cube stroker in the same space but it's no fun if you can't hook it up.

One more thing - better brakes for sure. The Klotz kits are great.

Keep us posted.

Do it! But you need to think about every aspect of it. Do you have the skills, time, money, space etc.? Are you ready for the gas you'd have to feed it? (I'm assuming a yes because you're putting a BIGGER motor in your camino) Is your truck ready for it?

Just some things to consider before doin any motor swap ;)

Hey thanks for the replies!

I've poured through a ton of forums for everything from Honda 50's to Ford Rangers, I can tell you guys here on Ratsun know your stuff. Can't express how much I appreciate finding this awesome community of Datsun enthusiasts. My 620 is my favorite truck and now Ratsun is my new favorite forum. Thank you all again-

That build thread on that king cab is absolutely out of control.... Thanks uieluck- I had figured there wouldn't be much left of the stock firewall on a v8 swap, but wow... The truck was bagged too though, which took it to another level of fabrication. And the body drop? wow...... just wow.... LOL

I've been told by quite a few guys that the shorter stroke on the 283, compared to a 350, means higher rpms. If the 350 revs just as high, maybe its more like the 283 is SAFER to rev higher?? This is interesting...

And DRIVEN pretty much took the thoughts right outta my head, I had kept the 283 when I sold the elky on purpose, for maybe throwing it in the 620, because of it being so small. I figured the 283 would be mild enough to not twist my truck in half... But still have the raw power I was dreaming about-

I'll be checking into it regardless, but it will be a while yet before I jump into a motor swap. I've had reliability issues with my Datsun before, (Dead battery/Voltage regulator/Alternator issues) so in all reality I haven't really had much time behind the wheel in it at all. (The short time I did drive it produced some of my fondest memories though, I can promise you that...)

So I am very much looking forward to really driving it everyday, and getting my hands all over my L18-

(One day though, I hope to post some vids of my 9 second 620..)

I will definately keep you all posted... Thanks again-

(and if anyone comes up with more on 620 v8 swaps, pllleeeease throw it up here, I would love to see it all!)

Won't fit without cutting the firewall. Once cut you are committed to it. If you give up the 620 ends up at the crusher.

You're absolutely right..

As awesome as it would be, the thought of getting halfway through it and not being able to finish was the first thing that crossed my mind. It would be heartbreaking. I've already jumped the gun and sold a couple of really sicks whips in my early days... I'll be buried in this truck. I won't let it go.

It's not something I'm planning on jumping into any time soon, but I can't help but dream of a v8 620. The appeal is just too great.

If i ever did it I would run open up-swept headers too, 8 chrome tips comin' right outta the hood.

All the T-buckets and Ford deuces would eat my shorts...:cool:

Kind of a meaningless statement...

Don't know why you'd put a KA in a 620

Don't know why you'd put an L20B in a 620

Don't know why you'd put a V8 in a 620

Don't know why people climb mountains

This could go on all day...

well said, different strokes for different folks!

Guest kamakazi620

The common consensus is some people are against it, others are for it.

Do it. Just remember that the longer stroke 350 revs just as high as the 283. The 283 simply makes less power.

Depends on what 350 stock 350=5500 roller350=higher 283 =6000-7000 283s are almost balanced factory ,also looks up chevy 302 rated 290hp but really more like 375hp 302 chevy is 283s stroke350 bore with 202 heads

You are hearing people talk about theory -- not about actual reality. Factory stock 283s wouldn't rev over 6k. The 302 did but had special valve springs. It's not the stroke that is the limiting factor, but the valve springs and the factory warranty considerations (lower redline means longer lasting engine). Even the 283 stroke is longer than the Datsun A12 stroke which was redlined at 6000 but revs to about 6500 RPM before valve float sets in. Again, longer stroke engines can rev just as high or even higher, it just depends on how they are built.

I agree the 283 would be great for a 620, as the lower torque (compared to a 350) is not needed for the light truck. I dunno why that one guy said he disagreed with me.