Match box distributor problem?

Low620

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 year later...

i am running a bit different of a setup, i have a 81 720 4x4 which had the 8 spark plug setup & i have switched it over to the 4 spark plug "matchbox" setup.  It starts & runs fine until it gets warm than it starts sputtering during acceleration and won't restart.  my suburban has done this in the past and a new distributor solved the problem & runs like a champ!  & for $110 it is worth the reliabliitly over a 30+ yr old distributor. Going to get a new coil soon tho,  always helps & could very well be the issue.

Best to trouble shoot the problem. Lots of money for a dizzy if it doesn't fix the problem. This is why I said borrow a coil.

The Z with 8 plugs runs best with 8. If using 4 plugs be sure to increase the timing to 10 or 12 degrees. Twin plugs reduce the burn tim so you will have to light the fire sooner with only one plug.

The engine i have in the truck must have been out of a 200sx, i had it shipped on a pallet from a junk yard in mitchigan for $400 they thought it was a 2.2 but it is a 2.0, sio i got a bit of a rebate after the fact! But this engine has the 4 plug head & "matchbox" distributor so i went with those parts instead of the 8 plug which was originally on the truck.  Thanks for the help tho i will be putting a new coil on it shortly along w replacing some clips. I should post some pics sometime, the truck is starting to be a badass!

Yes the non California '80 S110 (200sx) had the four wire single plug heads and a matchbox style dizzy. I've had two of them. In '81 they all were 8 plug.

Interesting motor... it has the long (6" or 151.5mm) rods and flat top pistons. Later '84-'86 720 also used a Z20 motor option (8 plug) but with 9 to one compression.