Match box distributor problem?

Low620

Ok so I installed a match box distributor on my 620 L16, put it at tdc swap all the spark plugs wires to the new locations, put the timing gun to it started right up! With no problems... Wired it just like the write up took of the resister and hooked up the original coil +to + and - to -.

Now the problem started a few days later in the morning, I go and pump the gas to start it and it starts right up has electric choke and it idles high then it will turn off! And it takes time to start it up again never did this with the points distribuor. Is this a problem that people have after changing to match box? Any help please

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a coke thing. You let it warm up? Or kick the choke off too soon? If motor is still cold it's harder to start is the choke is partly warmed. Try pumpung the gas several times and try re-starting.

As for the matchbox you can check for spark while cranking by putting an old plug in one of the wires and laying it on the valve cover. I think you will find lots of spark.

Did you replace the coil and get rid of the ballast resistor?

Last, are your wires in good shape? Dizzy cap and rotor? The matchbox puts out more voltage and if the wires are old it will try to jump to ground any where it can.

No it dies on it's own I'm not even in the car! I turn it on and walk oway to do other things ... I did remove the resister and left the stock coil.. It's starts fine it just dies in the middle of warming up.. I did kind of check for spark but I was in a hurry I took the coil wire from the center of the cap and I cranked it I dint see any spark but then I put it back in and cranked it for a few and it strated was the deal bad distributor?

I did remove the resister and left the stock coil.. ?????????????????????WHY???????

Ballast is removed if ueing a EI coil. You didnt use a EI coil. EI coils can handle the staright 12-14 volts

This could be a major proplem. The stock point coil needs a ballast resisitor.

Where is this write up? Im sure it says use a EI coil. if ballast resisitor is removed.

You can make this work by reinstalling the ballast resisitor(use same coil) and hot start wire(back to stock)

but put B of the matchbox to the side of ballast resisitor where the blk/wht wire goes.

C is - side coil

SIMPLE FIX!!!!!!!!

Or just get a EI coil and hook it up? YES YOU can do that and it should have been in the instructions for that to use the EI coil if the ballast is removed.

Why would it couse it to drop spark?

Cause you have a point coil in there and it design to keep the current down to keep the points from arching.

Once running the point coil is only seeing about 6 volts due to the fact the ballast is cutting the current in HALF.

Since ballast is gone your butting double the amount of current thru the coil. I bet if you got it running again I bet the coil is very warm and is either melting the insulation or arching to ground inside.

hook it up back to stock with ballast and just hook up the matchbox as I said in above post. Its cost nothing

If using the EI coil hook up the 12volt ON wire with the 12volt START wire at the +side coil with B of matchbox

First you haven't proven that the spark has stopped and that this is your problem. Next time it won't start put an old plug in one of the wires and lay it on the valve cover and crank while watching for spark.

Either get an EI coil, or put your ballast resistor back on. Won't work for long like that.

Update

Ok so I started it just like I had it with stock coil no resister.. Turned on then after a few min. Shut right off.

Put it back to stock with resister and turn on then shut right off checked for spark of the coil and no spark on both test.

So I took everything off and got the right coil for the match box distributor and checked for spark and man you can see the big difference on the spark! Plugged it in and turned on and stayed on. I guess running it with out a resister burned the coil.

Back to points :( well I did all that I could with this match box distributor! It did it again it left my stranded with the new coil! No spark! I checked all ground all power and still no spark! Took it off put in all my old things and runs like a champ! Any thoughs? On how to fix the distributor?

No it shut off after a few min on. I put in the EI coil hooked it up right turned it on, and it did but then by it self turn right off.... Went it turned off I checked for spark by taking the coil wire off from the cap put it to the block and no spark at all. After a few mins. I checked again and there was spark. Hooked it back in to the cap turned it on then like clock work just turned right off. I need the truck so I put it all back to stock and runs like a champ. So I guess bad distributor?

1980 NISSAN 720 PICKUP 2.0L 1952cc L4 2BBL (H) [L20B] SOHC : Ignition : Distributor Ignition Pickup Wiki Price

BECK/ARNLEY Part # 1800034

Pick-Up [Wholesaler Closeout -- 30 Day Warranty] (Only 2 Remaining)

$7.23

Add to Cart

ORIGINAL ENGINE MANAGEMENT Part # 6111 {#22229W5800} (Only 2 Remaining)

$14.03

Add to Cart

STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # LX567 {#22229W5800} Intermotor

Choose:

$19.37

Add to Cart

AIRTEX / WELLS Part # 4P1111 {#22229W5800, 88922475, JA146}

$27.79

rockauto.com