Spark Plug Help

Ron1200

yeh you can go with a bigger gap if you have Elect. ignition like Petronix, but that's a lot of gapping. Pertronix said not more than .005 so that would be like .0325,I also checked one of my Datsun books and gap is .028 - .032., looks like the bigger the gap the later the years..

Yea, I only see the large gap on the 78-79 620s. Which have matchboxes and of course have L20b's...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Light throttle needs less spark to fire the plug. Full throttle offers more resistance so more voltage is needed. If you have an EI dizzy they will easily run a larger gap whether you drive full throttle or not. Many Pertronix don't use a higher output coil so the output is the same and the gap should not be increased. A wider gap offers a longer spark for lighting the fuel/air.

This is what I have in my 79 620:

L16

W58 closed chamber head

260 cam

SSS 38mm SU's

electronic ignition (matchbox) with MSD coil

header

I think I remember the Old Datsun site had the gap for a 79 at .041. Is that what I should run?

My '78 FSM says 0.038" to 0.041" andit has the remote EI system.

It should run fine at whatever you gap it, at but to take advantage of the extra voltage you can open it up more. If you do be sure the rest of the ignition system is in good shape.... wires,cap,rotor.

Interesting.

The 1977 B210 FSM says .039 to .043 (remote ignitor, the big aluminum one)

The 1978 B210 FSM says .039 to .043 (remote ignitor), or .043 to .051 for FU models

Both are for A14 engine.

Conclusion:

* the 1978 remote or matchbox unit can work with BIG gaps

* the specific gap depends on the engine

Apparently the L-series needed a slightly smaller gap. The A14 FU engine could handle a larger gap -- it had the mixture closer to stoich due to a better carburetor and better combustion with closed-chamber heads. They also used special 4-anode spark plugs.