Question about buying a Datsun

There is a 73 Datsun 610 for sale here in NY, 2dr, auto. I haven't gone to look at it yet and the guy says he'll take best offer, no price listed. He says it has no rust except a couple spots around the rear window and has a dent in one door. He claims it has 33k original miles and smells like a new car. I assume it will need some work because he say in the 12 years he has owned it its barely been driven. I've never owned a Datsun since they pretty much don't exist in this part of the country and am excited to go look at it. My question is what would be a fair price for me to offer him? Also what sort of things should I look out for? Thanks for any help.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 610 speedo only goes to 99,999 so it could have (1)30,000 or even (2)30,000 miles on it. Unless it has a verifiable provenance with receipts and a chain of previous owners who can attest to the mileage, 30K could mean anything. This is not to say it couldn't be a low mileage car, anything is possible. IF, if it does have 30K it will likely have some original equipment high wear items on it that would indicate low mileage. For example if it has the original mufflers on it, original matching tires and spare, original brake pads and original belts and hoses on the motor. If the brake and clutch peddle pads are worn from use, if the hand brake and steering wheel rim is worn, if the arm rests are cracked/worn or the wiper/headlight knobs worn or the seats split or torn, if the windshield is covered with scratches... this would indicate lots of use.

I have a '74 710 that has 24K on it. It's been sitting since 2002 (so almost 1/3 of it's life) and I have some receipts from '88-'89 showing 18K on the odometer. It indeed also has the original mufflers on it with the proper part number for that year/model. Nissan fan belt since replaced and the automatic brake peddle is like new.

Being the buyer you want to down play the value and get it for a little as possible. Sometimes this can be accomplished by showing the current owner how much you want it and will keep it in repair and look after it. If it were your baby who would you rather sell or give it away to... some kid who wants a drift car or someone who wants to restore and keep it? If it does have low mileage it only means the main drive components are in good shape. (motor transmission differential) Hoses, belts seals, shocks struts, tires and specially brakes are likely in need of replacement and all fluids (coolant, engine transmission differential) oil replaced. Keep in mind you will need to add this maintenance cost to the cost of the car. I doubt you will be able to just drive it away and continue to do so for thousands of trouble free miles.

Actually doesn't look so bad. Right coast winters are murder on old Datsuns. They are rare as rocking horse shit!

I like automatic cars. Very hard to abuse and extremely boring to drive the shit out of them. Gotta figure it's never had the clutch dropped a 6K, nor had a smoky burn out. Even the most gung-ho drifter kid would have given up trying after 2 minutes.

looks like an ok car ill tell you this from personal experience rust around the rear window is a BITCH to deal with though for a 73 in that good a shape on that cost i would offer 2k if i had it and go from there

Thanks for the advice. I talked to the owner again and he said he is looking for $5500 to $6000 for it. I'm not sure if its worth my time going to look at it for that price. I've been looking for a Datsun for awhile, and they are hard to find around here but that seems steep and I'm not a fan of automatics to begin with.

Thanks for the advice. I talked to the owner again and he said he is looking for $5500 to $6000 for it. I'm not sure if its worth my time going to look at it for that price. I've been looking for a Datsun for awhile, and they are hard to find around here but that seems steep and I'm not a fan of automatics to begin with.

For that kind of money, you could find the Datsun that you want anywhere in the 48 states and have it shipped to you.

For that kind of money, you could find the Datsun that you want anywhere in the 48 states and have it shipped to you.

Definitely could. I have friends on the west coast I've been meaning to visit, maybe I could buy something while I'm out there and drive it back. My preference would be to find a 620 king cab.

Yeah he's on crack.... but what Datsun owner isn't in love with his car? I'd say the same about my wagon and when the money was offered I'd say no. You get attached to them and money doesn't always pry you away from them.

Yeah he's on crack.... but what Datsun owner isn't in love with his car? I'd say the same about my wagon and when the money was offered I'd say no. You get attached to them and money doesn't always pry you away from them.

Yeah I don't fault him for it. If he sells it its not like he'd having an easy time finding another down the road. I've certainly never seen a 610 in NY.