L20 Intake help please

p411

Hello everyone sorry in advance for bieng such a NOOB but I need some help. I want to get rid of my factory smog setup on my 79 KC, its got a L20 with a 4speed. Want to switch over to a non smog intake with Weber carb setup.

Heres what I just bought. My question is will this intake work? It supposedly came off an early 70s L16 510. Any help will be appreciated before I buy the weber and tear into my truck thanks!!!!

014-1.jpg

013.jpg

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes but you will need to change out your exhaust manifold. your current intake and exhaust are sandwiched together.

No, only the '75 through '77 had the intake bolted to the exhaust manifold.

620headU-67Large.jpg

The '78-'80 L20Bs used warm coolant circulated through the intake runners.

p411 the L16 runners are smaller than the proper L20B intake. You should keep the larger one on there.

If this is to 'clean up and make it look less cluttered' it's up to you. There is no gain in hp or economy doing this and you do risk disturbing things and causing a hard to diagnose/find vacuum leak on top of an unknown Weber carb swap. What ever you do decide make sure you keep the PCV valve functioning.

• Like 1

You can always give a cardboard template to someone who can make you a block off plate for your intake. I'm currently having one made by a fellow ratsun member for my b210 a14. also you can take out the pipes on the exhaust manifold and put some nice 14X1.5 tapered vw oil pan drain plugs in like I did.

Cut the pipes on the manifold and put a 6 point socket on the heads and work them back and forth slowly until they come out. It looks impossible but they come out easier than people think. I've done it twice. If your getting rid of your old exhaust manifold you have nothing to loose.

Pics you say? Here is my 1980 l20b. This may take a minute.

I used this flimsy piece of sheet metal for like ten years before I asked for a ratsun member to make me a plate.

100_4221.jpg

These aren't vw oil pan bolts but some other allen head pipe plugs I found. yes there is a difference in threads between pipe and bolt but I've found bolts fit fine in pipe holes, not sure about the other way around.

100_3568.jpg

Thanks for the awesome info. I think I will keep my orig stuff and just plug as u did. U say the VW plugs work best? On the exhaust?

Any 14x1.5 bolts will do but there is a couple models of vw that have pointy tip that seats perfectly in the holes. I'll find a pic.

Also where did u have the pcv connected to before u switched to the new plate that u tapped aNd drilled thanks.

I just plugged it off with a bolt in the hose for many years until the pollution nazi won me over.

Hahaha... I don't look at the PCV as a pollution control device, it is, but that (I think) is very secondary to it's biggest benefit to any motor... and that is keeping the oil from becoming diluted/contaminated with condensed water and gas vapors and combustion by-products.

And one day the glorious Datsun peoples

Will rise up and throw off

Their block off plates

And return the EGR manifolds

To their rightful place!

And return the carbon canisters

To their rightful place!

And throw off the tyranny

Of the tiny blue filters

On their valve covers

And return the hose to it's rightful place!

On the stock air filter.

And when that day arrives

There will be such a shout

As never before heard.

Hail Victory!!!

Sieg Heil, sieg heil, sieg heil!!!