A/C Hoses..

So I'm putting together the A/C in my 610, and I have all the components necessary, except for the hoses. It's the dealer option A/C, so it came with the hoses that slip onto the barbed fittings and are held with hose clamps. I'm looking for information as to what type of hoses I can use. I only need R12 compatible, so they're a bit less stringent as the R134a hoses. The new style hoses for R134a are "barrier" hoses, which aren't as flexible and won't work with the worm style clamps. On top of that, I'll have to get special fittings crimped on, and thus custom hoses made, which will be a bit of a headache. If I can find the correct material hoses, I can do it myself in my garage.

Any A/C gurus out there that know what type of hoses, or where to get them? I've searched high and low.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

For R134a, you're going to need barrier hoses. The R134a molecules are smaller than R12, and will actually find their way through the pores in the old style hoses. That's why people say that when you do an R134a retrofit, hoses are a must. Barrier hoses have an inner liner(usually teflon) that keeps the R134a from migrating out of the pores of the hose. Also, the R134a operates at a higher pressure than R12, so the barbed fittings with hose clamps aren't even an option. You have to go with the crimped on connectors.

• 4 weeks later...

Although its cheap to retrofit an a/c system if I was u I would go with the r12 replacement, freeze 12. It averages 14 to 20 dollars a car but blows much cooler. Downside to the product is you have to be certifide to buy it. However you can order it on ebay. I don't know how much it is there but over all you would be happier. If your lines are of your compressor I would cycle the ac clutch to drain the old oil out and replace it with eater oil to ensure the life of the compressor. And I would try bumper to bumper they got me r12 hoses for my 210. Which where like 30 bucks.

Although its cheap to retrofit an a/c system if I was u I would go with the r12 replacement, freeze 12. It averages 14 to 20 dollars a car but blows much cooler. Downside to the product is you have to be certifide to buy it. However you can order it on ebay. I don't know how much it is there but over all you would be happier. If your lines are of your compressor I would cycle the ac clutch to drain the old oil out and replace it with eater oil to ensure the life of the compressor. And I would try bumper to bumper they got me r12 hoses for my 210. Which where like 30 bucks.

Freeze 12 is not a direct R12 replacement!

Freeze 12 still requires barrier hoses, it is a R134a blend. Specifically: 80% R-134a and 20% HCFC-142b. There are other reasons Freeze 12 is a bad choice. Also to be legal you would have to convert the system to R134a then convert to Freeze 12. I would suggest avoiding mixed refrigerants as a rule.

The best solution is really return it to an R12 setup. The certificate is $20 and it is actually pretty easy to buy R12. Also the cost is not really that much more than the alternatives.

I have my 609, so I can buy R12. My uncle is a veteran refrigeration guy, and turned me onto this stuff called "Hot Shot(r414b). It's a direct drop in replacement for r12. Works great, and at lower pressure.

I ended up having to custom make my own hoses, so I just went with the barrier style. It was a grueling process, but it works great and kept me cold the entire week in L.A.

Thanks for the input, guys!

i somehow missed this its easier to go with the newer style hoses for a few reasons

1 there easier to get ahold of

2 there tougher then the older style s they usually last longer

yeah you have to have them made with a special clamping device but its worth ti there not to flexable but you get that back in having the correct ends and once then ends are crimped on they can still rotate 360 degrees

if my dad still worked at the ac shop i would see if he could help out but sac is a very long commute from oregon :P