L16 wont idle for shit

510Hansi

i have this VW radiator, i dont know much about it, but the cap is a plastic twist-on like a 2 liter soda cap & when the engine gets warm, it starts to drip out from sides of the cap. does this seem normal? isnt the cap suppose different? & not no soda cap twist on crap?

af5697d8.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

OK its running.

The Mixture screw youll turn it in/out till it runs the fastest and smoothest.

then once you go that you can lower the speed screw out. really it shouldnt be more than a full turn of it engaging. My mweber it barely touches the speed screw.

then adjust the timming with the speed screew also to get what you want that all that it is.

once set you might have to recheck on hot days or readjust for winter.

You wires at the coil are Correct.

the main wires are the BLK/WHT ON wire

the blk/blu(START ) is c clip to to a blk/grn.(completetion thru the ballast resisitor to +side coil)I would gently clean these wires up and tape wrap them up to it looks nice and clean. Those are your main wires.

the others going to the distributor are the 1st and 2nd set of points via a Relay. Its a funky sytem for emissions that I dont want to explain but a single point dizzy would be better and just pull all that crap out. but You could make this a single point your self.

Well you got it running. just do soem clean up and run the car up a hill and do final adjustments on carb and timming set ups.

as for the black smoke? Fuck it and just drive it!!!!!!!!!!!

also the blk/red & blw wire is the main points wire to the coil. it should go to the main set of points. I believe this will be toward the side of the motor and use the big ccondensor.This is the main set. the smaller condensor is the 2nd set of points and is not used to the 3rd gear swithc is kicked in. So make sure this is correct also. if not swap and and do the timming all again. been awhile since I dont dual points but You got it going. EZ fix. just clean up that mess one at a time.On the photo it looks like its a EXTENSION. the blk/red blk to the connector end right there is what goes to the dizzy. I dont know why they added the extension?

When you do turn the idle mixture screw, make sure you do only 1/4 turn at a time...and mark the screw driver so you know whereyou started (trick i learned)..then take for a test drive and check your plugs, if it's still filled with carbon then too rich. So you may want to clean the spark plugs first so you can read it better. Later on you may wanna to consider buying Pertronix system and get rid of the points...you set it and forget it..dwell will be constant at 52 degrees.