trans ID

jon521

ill probably get shit for this, but i searched and couldnt find anything. i am looking at buying a 5 speed long tail, and he said it is a zl 63a #1 and he doesnt know what it is out of. does anyone know what trans this is?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The 63a embossed on the tailstock is used on the dogleg. #1 is likely a casting revision. The dogleg came in L series Z and A series so a couple of pictures would help with the ID. Show the engine bolt pattern from the back looking forward, if possible

FS5W63doglegID002-1.jpg

The dogleg is about 26" long* has a smooth case and if you look in the front where the clutch arm is the cover plate will have 7 bolts around the outside holding it on. The 7th one is hidden behind the input shaft.

FS5W63dogleg7boltfrontcover003.jpg

* there are rare imported long tail dogleg transmissions that are about 31.5" long.

http://salem.craigsl...2510081052.html

the picture is at the very bottom of the ad. this isnt someone on here is it? he said it is off a 210 and that it is strongly built for supercharged/turbo'd motors. he said its about 35inches long from where it connects to the driveline to the end of the bell housing and that the bellhousing will fit my L16

Well, it looks like a dogleg.

That's about the only thing accurate, since his ad says the car's a '79 (it's not) and he says the trans is "built" (it's not, Nissan never put them in anything more powerful than a L20B). If the trans says ZL63A its out of a '80-81 510, and won't have the right "tilt" for an L-series (it's for a NAPS-Z) nor will it be a longtail.

That's about the only thing accurate, since his ad says the car's a '79 (it's not) and he says the trans is "built" (it's not, Nissan never put them in anything more powerful than a L20B). If the trans says ZL63A its out of a '80-81 510, and won't have the right "tilt" for an L-series (it's for a NAPS-Z) nor will it be a longtail.

hahah i just reread the ad that is definetly not a '79. alright so that housing is for a naps-z engine? no go for the L16?

its not a long tail? i dont know how he could have measured wrong, he said it was 35 inches. whatever, if its not going to fit my l16 then im not going to get it

hahah i just reread the ad that is definetly not a '79. alright so that housing is for a naps-z engine? no go for the L16?

its not a long tail? i dont know how he could have measured wrong, he said it was 35 inches. whatever, if its not going to fit my l16 then im not going to get it

Doug's right. This is a Z series 5 speed dogleg and while it will physically mount onto L series bolt pattern, it will be 'twisted or rotated' to the right or passenger side. The shifter will be leaning into the Pass seat and the transmission mount would need mods to make it seat properly. Very difficult to judge depth in a picture, I can't tell if long or short with any degree of certainty because the tail is half hidden.

If measuring length, it's all too easy to measure from the bell housing edge to the very rear end of the dust shield because it's easiest. However this gives a slope distance that will always be longer than the true center line length. It's possible this is a long 31.5" that has been slope measured at 35" 'by eye'.

100_3340.jpg