John's 4 door 510

Thank you gentlemen.

So I've been driving the car around the past week and it was beautiful. Last night though, it decided that it didn't like me I guess, cuz now it doesn't wanna start. *sigh* Picking up new plugs here pretty soon and seeing if that helps any.

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Figured I'd share what the exhaust looks like

DSC00169.jpg

DSC00168.jpg

My friend Greg who works at Mandrel Bending Solutions did it for me. It's not pretty, but it was affordable and allowed me to get an exhaust setup for the car. Muffler is burnt tip with a carbon fiber canister. It was cheap and I like the way it looks.

• 5 months later...

Didn't feel like re-writing this thing so I just copy pasta'd my post from the realm.

Oh my, what's this?

Surely it can't be... an ellipsoid from a bmw?

DSCN2828.jpg

Oh yeah it is!

DSCN2829.jpg

A couple shots of what had to be cut to make it fit:

DSCN2830.jpg

DSCN2832.jpg

DSCN2834.jpg

The left over material

DSCN2833.jpg

These particular ellipsoids that I have are from an E34 which has bigger mounting tabs. You'd still modify everything the way you would with ellipsoids from an E30, there's just more to cut off from the headlight itself. I only mention this because the write-up deals with E30 headlights and to pre-emptively answer the question "what car did those come off of" or "those look different from mine".

I still have to cut up the other headlight bucket/bezel and "massage" the inner fenders and wire up the H1's. The light output is soooooo much better. I'm hoping to have these bad boys in come Thursday. It's slow going because I don't have a hacksaw and I'm going at it with a dremel. And I'm more or less eyeballing the cuts. But so far so good so I can't really complain :D

It's nothing major but it's made me a hell of a happy camper. Little victories like this make it easier to continue a project when you've been away from it for so long. Also, I'm picking up a whole KA24E motorset this Saturday for around 200 bux. Hopefully come spring time I'll be running that engine.

Well, got my motorset today. I recieved: engine/tranny/ecu/upper and lower wiring harnesses/sterring column/other misc bits and pieces for $200. I can't wait til I can start getting this in the 510. Then again, I have to get it outta my car first....

1018081806.jpg

Patrick Swayze with the assist (his name is indeed patrick swayze, hehe)

1018081806a.jpg

1018081829.jpg

• 2 months later...

So I had an idea on a paintjob. I kinda like it.

cop510.jpg

IDK how to use photoshop so it was a quick and dirty mockup on a pic of a white 510 I did at work.

Thoughts?

And of course I'd probably have it on steelies, the logo may or may not be on a shield if I go this route, all depends on what I come across.

That's cool that you used your RSX to go get your engine! :thumbsup: A buddy of mine used his Acura Legend to go get his S2000 engine & trannie. He took out the pass seat and drove 500 miles (one way) loaded up and drove back! I guess the guy he got it from asked him where he was parked (looking for a truck) and about fell over when he told him his truck was too bad on gas so he drove the Acura. Hell - it worked!

I just can't believe you got that car from Rutherfordton. You know that's where I live right? I think you told me on the realm you flew into asheville to get it? May I ask who you got it from? Was it a younger person?

Dude's name is Rick. I still talk to him every now and again. He lives out in the middle of nowhere. From my understanding he used to have a collection of 510s and just decided that he was getting out of the game. I guess some he sold off and some were parted/scrapped. He's very green in terms of lifestyle.

But he did pick me up from the airport in his older Nissan pickup which was pretty neat. If i can find the picture that I have of him, his dad, and me and the car I'll post it up.

• 4 weeks later...
It needs a cops gum ball machine up on top!

A light bar is in the plans. At the very least a gumball. Sadly, I'm going to have to go with amber/white or green/white. Red/blue is illegal, even at a track day or car show, according to an officer on my local forum. I've read that its ok on private land, but everywhere else red/blue is a major no-no. According to mspaint, green/amber (yellow) is a negative of red/blue, guess that's my answer.

Not a whole lot done, but I'm getting serious with getting the s13 sterring column in.

Mocked up so I can drill some holes to mount it. I need to but some flatbar or something behind it (the dash) because the metal is quite flimsy.

0205091652.jpg

Had to cut off s13 the mounting tabs in order for it to clear the pedals.

0205091653.jpg

All that's left to do to get it in is to make a plate where it meets the firewall and mount it up to the dash.

• 2 weeks later...

So I spent like 6 hours out in the garage today. I spent a good hour and a half stripping and rust proofing a good chunk of the engine bay. Then a couple hours fitting the transmission into the car (had to cut out a small chunk of the tunnel) and I still have to hammer it out a little bit for it to not rub on the sides. Was hoping that I could get it set with the tranny xmember and mount that was previously on the car, but no dice. Gotta modify the tranny xmember by pushing the part where the tranny mounts back an inch and a half or so. If I didn't set the engine back where I have it now, it woulda been perfect. But I'm happy with where the engine sits. Still gonna get some custom brackets made, but that'll come after this summer.

Not a great shot of how it sits, but it is in there.

0219091826a.jpg

The modified mounts... I just beat the hell out of them.

Passenger Side:

0219091855.jpg

Driver Side:

0219091856.jpg

The engine mounts have been moved to the bottom holes and I see some binding, it was expected after what I read, and it really isn't that bad. After the summer I will probably put them back up to the top holes and make some custom brackets. This is just me rushing to get it running for the east coast 510 meet this year.

• 1 month later...

Let the spraybombing commence:

0416092328.jpg

It's a quicky rattle-can spraybomb attack on the car. The will be stripes, and there will be runs, oh yes. But for the coming year it will be in the guise of an old skool cop car.

And seeing as I won't be racing with the car, and from what I've been told the L-series doesn't have a problem with picking up oil (even with the occasional auto cross), it's gonna be up for sale when I get it all cleaned up and looking pretty.

What's going on with this? I'd like to get a hold of that pan! For sale?

You better be coming anyway

Hahahaha. I wouldn't miss it! I asked for that weekend off almost 2 months ago so that there wouldn't be any chance of me missing it. Had to talk my way into it though, we're about smack dab in the middle of prom season. Just dunno if I'm gonna take the RSX or my dad's Gran Vitara.

Hahahaha. I wouldn't miss it! I asked for that weekend off almost 2 months ago so that there wouldn't be any chance of me missing it. Had to talk my way into it though, we're about smack dab in the middle of prom season. Just dunno if I'm gonna take the RSX or my dad's Gran Vitara.

The vitara will probably make a better tent:eek:

Glad to hear you will be there. Only 2 more weeks.

• 1 month later...
Because I can't take myself too seriously

0505092222.jpg[/img]

I was going to do that to my radiator, but then figured no one would see it. I really want to do it to my grille now seeing how well yours came out! I've wanted to do teeth on my car since I saw Tom Coronel blasting around the track in the WTCC

WTCCCoronel2.jpg