510 evap system questions

I have a 1970 510 wagon that seems to have some parts missing from the evap system. The flow control valve, (mounted under the hood on or near the left fender, thanks Mike) is missing. Does anyone know where the vapor seperator is located? Under the hood I have 2 fuel lines entering near the right headlight. One is the supply to the filter and carb. The other one is attached to nothing. I was thinking this is the one for the evap system. When I fill my gas tank full, fuel runs out of this hose. Scary! If the seperator is located upstream of this hose, does that mean it's bad and not doing it's job? Or is that missing too and suppposed to be under the hood? I have located a flow valve to install but need more info on the seperator and it's location.

Thanks for any help. And pictures of a funtional system would be great if anybody has an original setup.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a wild guess from knowing where things are on a 521 truck. The vapor separator on a 521 is located pretty much directly above the gas tank. in is in the bed of the pickup, just ahead of the left rear wheel, and close to the fuel filler.

I am going to guess you look in the trunk, on the same side as the fuel filler on the outside of the car, up under the rear deck.

Well I just had a look around and I don't think my car had this system from the factory. There are 2 fuel lines from the tank. They go to the engine compartment. One other line is the vent from the tank to the filler neck. All I can think of is that the hose that leaks is a fuel return line. Since it's not hooked up anywhere (I have a Weber 32/36) it's leaking fuel when the tank gets topped up all the way. So I'm wondering now if I just cap this line, will there be a venting problem? I can't find any other info on this. How did the tank vent during orginal operation? I have a locking fuel cap which looks original and can't tell if it vents or not.

I found a Haynes manual and it shows an "old" system, up to 69 and a "newer" system from 70. The old one looks like what I have without the seperator. The car is a 12/69 production and must be on a split. My 72 wagon, 7/71 production has the system that is shown here in this thread with the seperator.

So now that i have that info, I just need someone to tell me how it is supposed to work. 'Im thinking the hose that is leaking is a return line still. And when the tank is full it's filling up that line and spilling out. That is my only guess as to why it's leaking.