Searching out car history..

I had been looking up my roadster's history and only clue I had was a body shop in lawton, ok.. Unfortunately it was a fail as its now a used car dealership who knows nothing about the body shop.. Today I had the even bigger kick in the ass to my search, found the bodyshop owner has been dead for a while... I was really hoping to get the history of the car sorted out a bit as I think it had been wrecked and repaired.. Man this sucks, I've been left with an enigma I want answers to and the car's body shows me some answers. What really sucks is the date of death makes this title I have totally bogus, maybe I shouldn't have dug into it now..

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The title is bogus? In that the date of issue of the title (in the dead guys name) is after he died? Could be that someone filed for a replacement title after he died to sell it. I've bought cars from dead people before, legally of course signed FOR the owner, not with the dead person's signature but some times family will forge it because it's easier (signing FOR the dead owner usually requires transferring title in-person with copies of the death certificate. BTDT).

..."I've bought cars from dead people before"...

Would assume there wasn't much bickering on the price.... ;) .... :D

Hmmmmm...I can just see it....got the owner propped up in the passenger seat and going for a test drive... :lol:

See if the Oklahoma DMV has the equivalent of a "Title Search". This tracks all title transfers as far as the State DMV can find records. If it leads to another state, go on line to their DMV equivalent and ask for the "Title Search" function. Warning, if Alabama shows up you are likely screwed! Flood damaged and "totaled" vehicles are routinely scrubbed through Alabama which will title anything on wheels with a "clean" title.

Fortunately the title is no longer in their records for the OK DMV and not red flagged as stolen.. I'm going to have to contact the city hall in lawton or the nearest county seat to see if they have record of it as the car is old enough that they stored the records of the cars there..

Unfortunately its the dead guys name signed on the title and this it is oooooooooooooooooooooooold was issued in 1973 and I think any tag agency would question it and want some info on it as some random ass guy coming in with a pinkslip (they are now green here in ok)

I have done everything legit upto now but if there is no record I'm going to assume the car was bought legit from next of kin and try to get a new title legally. This just made the footwork miles longer vs show up, smile, and new title time.

See if the Oklahoma DMV has the equivalent of a "Title Search". This tracks all title transfers as far as the State DMV can find records. If it leads to another state, go on line to their DMV equivalent and ask for the "Title Search" function. Warning, if Alabama shows up you are likely screwed! Flood damaged and "totaled" vehicles are routinely scrubbed through Alabama which will title anything on wheels with a "clean" title.

Not Alabama, Georgia you can wash about anything. Alabama goes over everything with a very fine tooth comb, believe me I have tried some shit in the past and had to track down many people for a real signature. As far as flood or totaled vehicles, those are in Louisiana and it is somewhat possible but still a pain after katrina.

Fuzz

Well looks like a lot of leg work for me in the future. I can obtain a legal title, but will have to go through a process known here as title 42.. I wont have to worry about any leins or anything bitting me in the ass if I do this as well, and it means the car will be *legally* mine and nothing questionable done.

..."I've bought cars from dead people before"...

Would assume there wasn't much bickering on the price.... ;) .... :D

Hmmmmm...I can just see it....got the owner propped up in the passenger seat and going for a test drive... :lol:

Depends on the family members. In one case the family just wanted it gone, $100 and it was mine. Still a minor hassle since the owner couldn't sign the title. About the same as buying from someone in jail. Both cases the person with power of attorney had to be there in person with papers- death certificate, or power of attorney papers.