Thermostat neck options?

610racecar

Do all L series motors have the thermostat neck where it faces straight forward? I am setting up an aftermarket Griffin radiator in my 610 race car, and getting an upper radiator hose that fits is a challenge. Any which face at an angle towards the fender?

Thanks,

Marc

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You can machine a simple adapter plate from 3/8" thick aluminum slab that rotates

the neck 90 degrees so it points to the driver's side. Then use a longish accordion style

universal radiator hose to reach the Griffin radiator.

The one I've seen rotated the stock neck 90 degrees. You could also design one that

rotates the stock neck to another angle, or which adapts an angled neck from some other

car. Same principle as a carburetor adapter.

The Z series will fit the L series two bolt and point upward.

thermostatLarge.jpg

If you get to the point where you can use a 2 point thermostat housing, the MOPAR Aluminum V6 housing has a slight offset [maybe 20 to 30 degrees] from parallel to the radiator and the KIA Sephia has the "right" offset that parallels the radiator. Your choice as to left or right. The KIA is metric bolt drilled. so you just might have to ream to fit the exact bolt diameter in your 3 to 2 bolt extension on the block. The metric just may be correct. A visit to the local junk yard, pardon me "recycling center", is in order.