Educate me on the Z

Been looking around at threads here and there also googling around. I'm more a roadster nut but I'm getting a Z car (78 280z 2+2) if the guy gets the title sorted.

I intend to swap to a V8, but for now would like to know how to handle the stock L28 with EFI and what might I also look for in an old worn Z.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

L28 = excellent engine ! for torque especially :D ,,, I would suggest looking up HybridZ ,,, troll through there ,,, and don't ask ANY stupid questions they will eat you alive :lol: :D ;) ( i use it for research only ) ,,,

Floor pans usually rot out , rocker panels (lower especially ) rust out , battery tray area rust out , some windshields leak (style I have bee told) ,,,

------------------- V8 Advice ---------------------

Plan on upgrading Rear CV-Joints to ZX CV-Zxle Joints ,,, at least ,,, install poly bushings for mustache bar ,,, plan on a stronger diff mount/solid one ,,,

Make sure the Engine Bay Frame-Rails , Floor Pans/rails ,,, etc ,,, are in good shape before putting torque monster 400-sbc + 4-spd muncie ,,, :D

I had to cut out a section of my trans-tunnel to fit my 4-spd Saginaw properly ( mechanical linkage to shift rod-forks was TIGHT against tunnel/Drivers side trans mount ,,, out it came :lol: ,,,you may or may not have to !? ,,, you might just use a BFH too !? :lol: ( but I wanted to be able to access shift rods to get to them in order to pull trans without ruining them :D )

Strut Tower Braces ,,, front and rear HIGHLY recommended :)

Suspension lowering/stiffening/upgrade ,,, highly recommended ( down the way )

I am planning on running the biggest tires/fattest ,,, I can fit on my project v8 Z when I can afford the monies :D ( your 400 will roast everything with the 3.54/3.90 gearing )

I would look at putting in at least a 3.54 Diff to ,,, you MIGHT have a 3.90 in there ,,, and V8 howling in your ear all the way down the freeway going nowhere gets hold fast :mellow: ,,, but very fun all the way to 70 :lol:

ALSO !!!

Very important !!! since your 400sbc ,,, is EXTERNALL balanced ( as opposed to 350 internally ) ,,, Your 400 Harmonic Balancer + Flywheel/Flex-Plate is specific to the Engine !!!

Now ,,, You can Spend $300 on an after-market 400sbc Flywheel so you can haz a 4spd without troubles

or ,,,

Look-up ,,, Summit Racing ,,, Jeg's ,,, Speed-way Racing

One of these company's sells an adpater that you put on BEFORE the flywheel to allow the use of a 350sbc flywheel on a 400sbc ,,, ( the adapter maintains the external balance the 400sbc needs ! :cool: ,,,) I believe it is something like $13 as opposed to paying $300 for a new 400sbcflwywheel ,,,

Everyone and their dog has a 350sbc Flywheel :lol:

A lot of words ,,, but hope that helps ,,, the budget especially :D :lol:

You really want a 2+2? Well, same thing to look for in them as most other Z's. Rust. If you can, pull out the battery and see how much rust is forming under there. Crawl underneath and check the frame rails and floor pans. Pull up carpet pieces, etc. How much does guy want for it? It its lived its life in Oklahoma, it might not be too bad rust wise. And it also depends on if you're willing to take on an eventual project.

As for the L28EFI, they seem to be pretty bitchin' little motors. I used Megasquirt, which was a hell of a learning experience, but it let me really clean up the engine bay, gives me awesome control over the whole engine, and eventually I'll even be able to see all the diagnostics in the cockpit once I get my carputer installed. I made a 150 horse and torque at the wheels on an NA motor with the original intake badly stepped to the larger throttle body. I'm procrastinating about turning an LD28 manifold into the new intake. I just need to sit down with my hydrogen torch and actually do it. :)

But then again, I also have a VH45DE waiting to go in, so I'm sort of like "why spend the money"?

Plus I have these bitchin' coils running my spark:

FinishedCoils.jpg

NO DISTRIBUTOR!

Extremely fun, but 4000 rpm @ 70 mph @ 9 MPG gets expensive quick. :)

:cool: (squirley too !)

:lol: :lol: :lol: ,,,, YUP !!!

9mpg !? ,,, Didn't know you could get that good ! :lol: ;)

Hardwrye ,,, your my hero ! :D ( me likey the setup you speak of on your Z ) :cool:

If I had a Z, eventual motor swaps would either be a RB25, or a LS1.

^^^ Both VERY VERY cool ,,, BUT ,,, I thought the same thing when I got my Z ,,, then I realized those swaps BOTH cost $$$ ,,, after adding things up ,,, and you go through the paces of what is needed :(

Well worth it , and Props if you can pull it off :cool:

Yes ,,, I would myself ,,, in a heartbeat ,,, if I had money :o :lol:

If I had a Z, eventual motor swaps would either be a RB25, or a LS1.

And DTP, where can we find oics of any of your cars? Build thread maybe?

^^^ Both VERY VERY cool ,,, BUT ,,, I thought the same thing when I got my Z ,,, then I realized those swaps BOTH cost $$ ,,, after adding things up ,,, and you go through the paces of what is needed :(

Well worth it , and Props if you can pull it off :cool:

Yes ,,, I would myself ,,, in a heartbeat ,,, if I had money :o :lol:

RB25s tend to be hard to find, and when you do, they're fucking expensive. The LS1 can be just as bad.

I originally wanted to do an LS1, then started wondering if I could some how keep the girl all Nissan/Datsun/Infiniti.

Thus, the VH45DE(Wiki). A fucking incredible motor. Forged crank and rods, full girdle, hyperutetic moly-coated pistons, sodium filled exhaust valves on the '90-'92. 4 valves a cylinder, pentroof chamber design, variable valve timing from '90 - '95, etc, etc, etc. ALL FROM THE FACTORY!

The LS1 is a hot motor, but Chevy still went cheap when it shouldn't have. Cast crank? Come on BOWTIE CO!

I picked up a '94 Infiniti Q45 for a grand. I'm going to pretty much strip the entire drive train and maybe even the ABS brake system and put it on my Z. Using VHPower's adapter plate, I'll get my 5-speed back (donated from a 300ZX since the Q45 never had anything but a hamstrung auto(won't let you start in first gear, thus feelings anemic)). The fuel pump should also be perfectly salvageable as well.

http://www.q45.org/vhpower/parts.shtml

The Q is going to donate four-disc brakes, an R200 with VLSD, and possibly some newer shocks/springs.

Hell, I was even contemplating using the sunroof from the Q in to my Z, but that's more work than I feel like investing. However, I might try to do something with the power mirrors. :D

I dont know much about the SBCs but I would caution anyone doing a motor swap against doing the swap simply because "they have the parts laying around." In my opinion, you want to use the best parts that makes sense for you the first time around, not hack something together just because you have it. Picking the right engine, transmission combination could save you some time, headache and money down the road. Not saying your choice is a bad one but just make sure youre not going to regret something later.

In my opinion an LS based V8 is the only engine swap that makes sense to do in a z-car, but I will spare people the rant.

I dont know much about the SBCs but I would caution anyone doing a motor swap against doing the swap simply because "they have the parts laying around." In my opinion, you want to use the best parts that makes sense for you the first time around, not hack something together just because you have it. Picking the right engine, transmission combination could save you some time, headache and money down the road. Not saying your choice is a bad one but just make sure youre not going to regret something later.

In my opinion an LS based V8 is the only engine swap that makes sense to do in a z-car, but I will spare people the rant.

Well I'm also really familiar with both this trans and engine, but also having everything ready to go so all I have to do is prepare the car which is fairly simple from what I've read on hybrid Z. I'm not as worried about a Z body as I am my roadsters on drastic modifications.

The only LS motors I've found around here are about $2k just for the motor and that's one that's in questionable condition. But I understand your love of the LS grind. Chevy did something REALLY right with those. But I've also found a new love for this VH45 clock. If I really get bored with the 300hp/330tq, it sounds like stock internals can be good for up to 600 with proper turbos. I'm also going to have run with turbos and ethanol at some point as well. :)

Well I'm also really familiar with both this trans and engine, but also having everything ready to go so all I have to do is prepare the car which is fairly simple from what I've read on hybrid Z. I'm not as worried about a Z body as I am my roadsters on drastic modifications.

That's cool, I really dont mean to come off really negative, I'm all for doing the swap :)

The only LS motors I've found around here are about $2k just for the motor and that's one that's in questionable condition. But I understand your love of the LS grind. Chevy did something REALLY right with those. But I've also found a new love for this VH45 clock. If I really get bored with the 300hp/330tq, it sounds like stock internals can be good for up to 600 with proper turbos. I'm also going to have run with turbos and ethanol at some point as well.

The LS motor isnt necessarily the cheapest option for an engine swap. If you want cheap, L28ET is an awesome alternative. If you want huge power theres plenty of other engines that can make good power. What I think is awesome about the LS1 is that its the best "baseline". 300 hp stock, 500-700+ hp potential, 6 speed transmission, aluminum block, compact engine - weight is much lower than a huge DOHC engine, and the best aftermarket support short of the SBC...

Going back to cost, the LS1 is starting to become more affordable. I bought mine from a junkyard with transmission, computer and wiring harness for not much more than $2k. I saw pictures of the wrecked car, and the junkyard gave me a short warranty on the motor internals in case something blew up when I attempted to start it. It really made it hard to pick anything else...

Yes, there definitely are other great engines out there and putting one of those in the car would be a more unique solution, but somehow nobody gives the LS1 swapped RX7 that dominates the local autocross events in my area any crap about having a "boring" engine swap ;)