Which transmission do I have?

I am purchasing my second 521, it wont be in my possession until the 15th of July. It is a 1970 model with the L16 motor and the transmission according the owner is out of a 510. I am needing the transmission rebuilt and need to order a kit is why I am asking. It is a manual transmission. I understand that this might not be enough information, how can I tell by looking at the transmission?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Not enough info. Check the rear of the tranny. If the drive shaft slides in it might be the 5 speed. If it has a flange with

4 bolts it's probably a 4-speed.

I think the 4 speed has a shifter held with a bolt where as the 5 speed has a pin holding it in place.

Well, one easy way to check is look underneath. See a square pan with a drain plug in the middle? If no, it's not original. Then you have a lot of work to ID it.

If yes, it COULD be original, or a 510 trans (which are nearly identical except the flanged output on the truck), or even a LATE (78-79) 510 trans which are slightly different.

The internal parts for a '70-72 521 trans and a '70-73 510 trans are exactly the same.

A 510 4spd, the shifter goes down into the sometimes sloppy rubber bushings. They also have slip in drive shaft.

The trucks have a flange at the end

5214spd.jpg

510 4spd below

Transmissions_4-speed-1-thumb.jpg

The truck looks the same....except the end. Like datsunaholic said, insides are the same.....;)

True. The 510 goon has the same ratios as the 521 and early 620 with the L16 motor.

510 sedans......... 510 goon and 521/620 (with L16 motor)

1st.... 3.382......... 3.657

2nd... 2.013......... 2.117

3rd.... 1.312......... 1.419

4th.... 1.000......... 1.000