Need Info on Seat Belt Re-Webbing

I got tired of messing with the non-retractable seatbelts on my 1975 620, so I went out to the junk yard and bought a pair of retractable belts. The problem is that the driver-side belt has a small hole in the middle of the webbing. I could probably use them as is but I was wondering if anyone had any info on shops that will replace the webbing.

I'd prefer something in or around San Diego, but I'd be interested in other places as long as I ship the belts.

Thanks.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Z chopper...I remember seeing that link somewhere else on the forum and considered getting them from there, but thought it be cheaper easier to install by getting 620 retractable belts from the yard.

The hole in the webbing didn't bug me as much when I got them but now it is.

I found a couple of places online that will do it:

http://www.ssnake-oyl.com/mm5/merchant.mvc

http://www.seatbeltsolutions.com/

I'd prefer to go somewhere local, but I'd be interested to know if anyone has used them or know of any other shops.

Any upolstery shop should be able to do rewebbing too

STOP. Before you ship yours off consider these points of ponder~

Liability: Apholstery shops, *IF* they do the work, will likely sign off on liability. There will be no DOT/ANSI/etc. tag sewn into the lower mount as mandated by USDOT. You WILL be liable for that person in the passenger seat~ be it wife, GF, or best bud. He/she might forgive you from heaven~ but that doesn't mean their family will. I've got upholstery machines/equipment here, but I'm so anal about safety ( a career path) I won't even do my own. There's no cheaper insurance than "DOT approved"....

Cost: Unless doing restoration work for a *valuable* car, you will cancel out any savings you might have rewebbing by paying an additional $15-30 or more for the return shipping.

My steadfast opinion, even if it costs a few extra bucks, is to buy outright a quality set of belts, even if used, with the DOT tag still in place~ there is no ruling on upgrading seatbelts from another factory installation to the best of my knowledge. Think about it, NOTHING is more important than your seatbelt~ the only thing on your car/truck that comes close is your BRAKES. I've driven nearly 2 million miles in my life thusfar, and have seen some pretty gruesome $#!t. The life you save may be your own... End of sermon.

Just lookin out for ya, man....

Scott

• Like 1

Thanks, guys. Safety is definitely top priority which is why I'm trying to do my homework, so I appreciate all the info (and the sermon).

Prices on seatbeltplanet.com are reasonable, so I'm leaning towards buying them new.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks, guys. Safety is definitely top priority which is why I'm trying to do my homework, so I appreciate all the info (and the sermon).

Prices on seatbeltplanet.com are reasonable, so I'm leaning towards buying them new.

While not installed yet, I am happy with the quality of the seatbelts I got from Seatbelt Planet.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...