paint codes

wildmaninid

Just wondering if anyone has any formulas or has converted any factory datsun paint colors over fo basecoat/clearcoat? I have code 019. Wich is sunshine yellow, on my 77 620......when I look up the code on dupont catframs all I get are formulas for single stage paint......not happening. So yea if I have to pick another color close I will but would reallllly like to keep it stock.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice idea, but I mix my own paint, and get a smokin deal, not into getting grossed at a body shop.

Does that mean you squirt your own as well? Have something custom in mind, or a reason why you can't squirt clear over your yellow?

yes I paint as well. All paint has a formula to mix up. When I punch in the code on my computer, all I get codes for are single stage paint. This paint has the chemicals in it that make it glossy in one step, hence single stage, you paint it, it gets glossy, bam you are done. I fucking hate spraying single stage, so I am asking if anyone had found formulas to mix up these colors in basecoat, which sprays in two steps...the base will be very dull when sprayed, and the clear will give it the gloss. You cannot spray clearcoat over single stage paint for a variety of reasons that I will not delve into here. I can spray any color I can find a formula for, I would just like to try to keep what I have if possible

You can spray clear over single stage, have done it a lot, you must scuff between the color and the clear.

Here some examples:

DSC00028.jpg

Clear sprayed on after the graphics where put on.

IMG_0004-1.jpg

This was cleared with what I call dish water, clear mixed with some color, looks cloudy in the can, sprayed two coats, then color sanded, then two coats of straight clear. The dish water creates depth.

Cool, I am not going to be doing that.......Single stage paint evaporates solvents for months after it is sprayed, which is what hardens the paint and give it the shine...........spraying a clearcoat over it traps those solvents under another another layer of urethane, with its own solvents than need to evaporate.........Not trying to be a dick, but I am not interested in trying to be schooled on how to paint, I have been doing it for enough years that I have quite a firm grasp. BTW I converted the formula myself and mixed up my basecoat yesterday.

• 3 months later...

Any way you can share some info on this. I am looking to paint my 620 as well. the paint number is rubbed off, so I think it was either a 019 or 102 (from what I searched) its a 77 620 if anyone can help me out on that would be great.

and if you figured out how to go from single stage to two stage please share!

So, let me see if I understand you. You mix your own paint. You want to duplicate in base coat/clear coat a color that was originally a single stage factory color.

Problem one, the original color had changed or faded over time. But you know that. Problem two, BC/CC will have a different color than single stage.

This is what I would do, if I really wanted it to get close. This is not the process a body shop would do, trying to beat a flat rate.

If you have a good original panel on the vehicle, wash, and then buff it, to get faded old paint off, and get to the original color. Do not buff so thin, the primers start to show through.

If you do not have the original paint intact, you might have to buy a small quantity of the factory color in a single stage, and spray that, and use that as your color standard.

You mix your own paint. Custom make a small batch of base coat, to the color you are trying to get. Take careful notes of the mix ratios, spray gun settings, and any other factors that affect paint you can think of. Spray it on a test panel, clear coat it, and compare the color back to the original. Make a slight change in the custom mix you feel is appropriate, again taking careful notes, and make another test panel. Compare back to the original, and the changes, and make another custom mix, and spray it.

When you get tired of trying to match, or get it close enough, make a big batch of paint, and spray the car.

Keep in mind, if you are working with a metallic paint, the spraying technique will greatly affect the color.