shorter steering coloumn possible, or different angle?

i swapped my seat for 240 seats, and now i sit a little lower. is there any way to lower the coloumn, and most importantly, can i make it closer to the dash? it's just a little too close. pedals are too, but cant do anything about that, lol. damn i wish i had an extended cab, that would save me all of this!!! on a side not, anyone want my stock seat? it's been recovered in cloth and looks brand new! will post pics if anyone wants to see them. i only want like 50 bucks plus shipping.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

...phone books??? :lol:

ive seen spacers(washers too) used where the column mounts to the frame :eek:

thats what i did for now, but i was hoping on a better solution, plus it doesnt change the length.....can i run one from another nissan thats shorter?

Sure it can be done.But it's not something that can be done in your garage.Might as well rebuild your steering box as the entire box must come apart in the process.This is a lotta work & $ for 2 inches.Or at least that's what she said.:mellow:

You'll need a two GOOD machine shops.The first to dis-assemble and rebuild the box.Then one to re-spline the cut shaft.Re-splining is not something that the average auto machine shop can do.Find a shop that is known for steering box knowledge.

Have fun!

cut the shaft and get a quick disconnect from any dirt track parts supplier. Weld on the nub that comes wit the disconnect. After market wheel.

Porb solved.

Shortening the column is not hard if you can weld. I shortened the column in my 521 3" and it makes a huge difference in the room for an old MOG like me.

I made my cut so that it would be under the dash, invisible inside the engine bay. When I rewelded the shaft, I beveled the edges and MIG'd it. I let it cool naturally, no quenching. The column was done the same way.

Welding two tubes end-to-end, they should be clamped in a jig to keep them straight, so I clamped the shaft into a piece of angle iron and clamped the column into my strut shortening jig.