Looking for 5 speed for 521

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a 5 speed gear box for my 1971 521 anybody holding?

Jim

There is no 5 speed for the 521, but there are at least two popular 5 speeds that can be put into the 521 if you are willing to modify and weld the rear mount and depending on which 5 speed, shorten or modify the driveshaft.

I have a 5 speed out of an 83 720 pick up. Came with my 78 510. Would do $120+ shipping. Also have a very good clutch and pressure plate. Another $50 would get that. Let me know!!

what motor are you running?

I have whatever came stock. I read in the drive train forum that you can stuff in a 5 speed, however I don't speak Datsun. I'm having a little trouble getting a handle on L26-13/4 or whatever they were telling me, so I could use some help till I get my feet under me. I spent my teenage years cruising the Ave. in one that belonged to a bud, and have missed it ever since. I really feel that its time to build one. Yes I can build a little bit. I finished a 8 secound door slammer resently and am finishing up a suppercharged nitrous injected grocery getter for the wife. I would like to keep the 521 as stock looking as possible and I think a wide ratio that can handle a slight cam, headers,

and a real carb is in order. Shortening the drive shaft is no big deal. However, I could use some help with what parts I need and what you guys would do. Again, I think the look will be close to stock with little things like deleting the wind wing and having a one piece side window, removing the drip rail around the roof, maybe a 2" drop, and fixing the breathing under the hood, as mentioned above, but nothing big. I can use all the help you folks can offer, Thanks

Jim

I have whatever came stock. I read in the drive train forum that you can stuff in a 5 speed, however I don't speak Datsun. I'm having a little trouble getting a handle on L26-13/4 or whatever they were telling me, so I could use some help till I get my feet under me. I spent my teenage years cruising the Ave. in one that belonged to a bud, and have missed it ever since. I really feel that its time to build one. Yes I can build a little bit. I finished a 8 secound door slammer resently and am finishing up a suppercharged nitrous injected grocery getter for the wife. I would like to keep the 521 as stock looking as possible and I think a wide ratio that can handle a slight cam, headers,

and a real carb is in order. Shortening the drive shaft is no big deal. However, I could use some help with what parts I need and what you guys would do. Again, I think the look will be close to stock with little things like deleting the wind wing and having a one piece side window, removing the drip rail around the roof, maybe a 2" drop, and fixing the breathing under the hood, as mentioned above, but nothing big. I can use all the help you folks can offer, Thanks

Jim

hey i like the camaros so if you speak chevy datsun is the little brother i have one 5 speed that was in a 521 i can trade chevy parts for datsun parts i need a big block for my

66 chevelle thanks

hey i like the camaros so if you speak chevy datsun is the little brother i have one 5 speed that was in a 521 i can trade chevy parts for datsun parts i need a big block for my

66 chevelle thanks

Better post a picture of it.

• 3 weeks later...

66 chevelle thanks

Sorry guys been out a town I am interseted in trades, however the class that I was racing in was only small block so all the go fast stuff is little block. got nitrous suppercharges alum water pump dart little M block like that.

Jim

won't a dogleg 5 speed just bolt right in?

Not quite, but as close as your going to get, the rear trans. mount needs modified, and so does the driveline, but any 5 spd will need them modified, Charsubow, do you have the stock bench seat or buckets in your truck? The cheapest 5 spd. would be a datsun 620 5 speed, but it is a long shaft and the shifter will need a new hole placement in the tunnel cover, the 77-79 200SX dogleg 5 speed will not need sheet metal changes, but the rear transmission mount needs changed and the driveline will need modified also, and lets not forget it is a car transmission. The best 5 speed for your truck is way more complicated, and will need to be built out of two differant transmissions, and you would need to know what trannys to get, it has been discussed on this forum on a few differant threads, I don't know which ones at the moment. In the how to section I discribed how to put one together. This was my first how to article, if you don't understand it PM me. http://community.ratsun.net/topic/28473-how-to-put-together-a-shortshaft-5-speed-for-a-l20b/

Not quite, but as close as your going to get, the rear trans. mount needs modified, and so does the driveline, but any 5 spd will need them modified, Charsubow, do you have the stock bench seat or buckets in your truck? The cheapest 5 spd. would be a datsun 620 5 speed, but it is a long shaft and the shifter will need a new hole placement in the tunnel cover, the 77-79 200SX dogleg 5 speed will not need sheet metal changes, but the rear transmission mount needs changed and the driveline will need modified also, and lets not forget it is a car transmission. The best 5 speed for your truck is way more complicated, and will need to be built out of two differant transmissions, and you would need to know what trannys to get, it has been discussed on this forum on a few differant threads, I don't know which ones at the moment. In the how to section I discribed how to put one together. This was my first how to article, if you don't understand it PM me. http://community.rat...eed-for-a-l20b/

I appreciate the info. I have been trying to make sense of all the bits and pieces that people have posted and just glanced at your article hoping that I would not have to find 2 5 speeds when I am having trouble finding just one. though I can see you are right. I have the stock bench seat and would rather not do any unnecessary damage to the sheet metal , I can handle a tranny mount though I am a bit concerned that I have not as of yet read anything about the trans angle. I guess the place to start is reading your post and getting some parts together. Thanks for the help. Jim

If you put together one of the transmissions I discribed in the article, you will have no angle to the shifter, as that is why you use the 1980 datsun 720 L20b trans. case on the 1985-86 2WD shortshaft transmission. This is not for someone that is not mechanicly inclined, it is not that hard to do, but you need to find the parts. You can put a datsun 620 5 speed in your truck, it is done all the time, you just have to relocate the shifter hole in the removable plate connected to the tunnel, carpet will cover the modifacation anyway, if the shifter is to close to the seat, you can heat it up and bend it forward. The driveline will also need modifacation/shortened.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.