I need a87 l20b cam

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The cam that was in the the l20 said 210 on it. I had an l20 cam in my old l16 that was rebuilt with head. I pulled the towers and cam off and used that the lobes on cam are about .050 bigger then old cam. The cam towers seen to be ba on old cam. I put new cam in old towers and I could not spin it with even with out litters so I think the towers were to tight and that Is why it broke.

I could not spin it with even with out litters so I think the towers were to tight and that Is why it broke.

Yes thats why it broke. It wasnt aligned right or a extra cam shim was installed or top of head could have been warped. If head is warped you got to ck the top also.

If cam dont go straight in and you cant turn it by hand STOP!!!!!!!! fix this. if you can turn it somewhat by hand then its probaply ok and it will wear in. A perfect cam alighnment is when you can turn with just the fingers.

I cant believe there is a .050 different in cam size at the lobe as most list .390 lobe lift or .412 . I know the Nissan motorsport book say the SSS is .430 or so. But others book say the l20 is same as the SSS which most list as .412 depnding on year.

I was go got mention to ck the cam. But rarely if I ever seen one break beside the one with the photo above. Most times a lash pad fallsout or needs valve adjustment when loosing a cylinder.

I would just bolt another head on. as finding the so called correct cam and using the old rockers on another USED cam is another NO-NO

I have 2 motors l20 that is in car and l16 with new head that's out of car. Pulled cam from 16 put it would not go in and spin. So I pulled towers from same head I got cam from and now the car runs

I believe that the cam towers are exclusive to the head they originally came on. I believe they are align(?)bored while installed on the head. So if you took towers off one head and then installed on another and found the cam binding(not turning)this would make sense. As for a cam breaking, that happened to me, it broke right after cylinder #3 and I was fortunate enough to make it home(25 miles) on 3 cylinders! Jersey

I believe that the cam towers are exclusive to the head they originally came on. I believe they are align(?)bored while installed on the head. So if you took towers off one head and then installed on another and found the cam binding(not turning)this would make sense. As for a cam breaking, that happened to me, it broke right after cylinder #3 and I was fortunate enough to make it home(25 miles) on 3 cylinders! Jersey

the cam towers are aligned to each other.

they are not exclusive to the head.

Iv swapped whole cam tower/cam/rockers/ect sets over to different heads and never had a single problem.

if you start mixing and matching towers tho, you may run into trouble

The cam no longer binds. The only issue is now is that I can't get .011 valve lash on some cylinders so I'm getting detnation while valves are open. No mater what the timing so at idle you can here popinng out of exaust

If you got it to spin freely with the replacement towers then I think you're fine. The head probably isn't warped, since they wouldn't have aligned if it had. Probably had one tower out of alignment originally which overheated then snapped the camshaft.

However... If you can't get .011 on any valve that's not good. Too tight or too loose? I'd have to think too tight, which is indicative of a badly recessed valve (seat or valve overground or just burned out). I've heard of folks milling a little off the valve stem to solve that, otherwise you need a new seat or valve, or a thinner lash pad. Of course that's assuming you didn't try adjusting with the valve open or partially open... and yes, I've seen some folks try it.

Interesting discussion.

One reason they can lock up like that is because the aluminum castings

gradually distort the heck out of themselves over millions of heat cycles.

The gasket surface is typically warped .004 - .006 on a high mileage head

that HAS NOT been overheated. Result is that original machine work

is no longer close to where it started 40 years ago.

Sometimes loosening, tapping with a mallet and retorqueing will get them

aligned. Milling the head top surface and tower bottoms will solve the problem

if done correctly and the head is being totally redone (lot of work...the towers

need to be fixtured somehow on a straight cam...0r a machined bar precisely

the same diameter as the cam journals).

the cam towers are aligned to each other.

they are not exclusive to the head.

Iv swapped whole cam tower/cam/rockers/ect sets over to different heads and never had a single problem.

if you start mixing and matching towers tho, you may run into trouble

Skib thank you for educating me on this, I've actually passed on a few heads that were missing the towers but, otherwise were in great condition! Jersey

Hey guys I need a cam I'm in Sacramento call or text or pm 916-690-5587. Need asap

hey i have every thing except the head is crack let me know if you need it

thanks

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.