Saturday Afternoon Hose Job~

albyneau

~From Backwoods Bhumfuque, in the pacific northwest. In our little neck -o- the woods, a well-inventoried parts store is a contradiction in terms~ and one that's open on Sundays is non-existant! So finding a replacement coolant hose was a lost cause from the getgo. That factory elbowed job that connects the intake manifold crossover tube to the "coolant manifold" above the alternator had seen it's better days, so off to the (ill-equipped) parts store for some bubblegum & duct tape- so to speak.

HoseJob1.jpg

Ideally I could've found a chunk of brass in the shape of a 90 degree elbow, tapped the outside diameter of the aluminum hose barb, and been done (skipping the no-brainer stuff here- cuz easy doesn't exist in Bhumfuque). I set about to plan B, which was to solder a piece of 1/2" copper tube on the end of the crossover, and use the NAPA hose mentioned below.

HoseJob2.jpg

Old metal being what it is, it's lack of cooperation led to plan C, which is shown below in more successful detail.

HoseJob3.jpg

The hose is a NAPA off the shelf item, part nuber 9801~ not sure what the original application was. Using a 3/8" compression fitting to 1/4" pipe brass adapter I had to fabricate my own hose barb. The 1/4" pipe threads were soldered up, then carefully filed down to 1/2" by chucking it up in a slow-spinning drill press. DO NOT attempt this in front of your boss, an OSHA rep, or any public safety official! If you have a lathe more power to you~ in Bhumfuque a drill press *IS* a lathe, standing on end...

HoseJob4.jpg

Our special little crossovers are not 3/8" tho~ so thorough massaging of all parts to make them fit was required. I carefully filed down the outside diameter of the tube to remove rust/paint/etc., and the inside diameter of the compression nut. Still being a tight fit I lightly heated up the compression ferrule and used my newly-made 1/2" nipple as an anvil to lightly tap on the ferrule to it's proper depth~ about 1/16" from the tube bottoming out in the fitting. The tube will "travel" into the compression fitting slightly when tightening- so don't push it all the way in! The rest is all nut's -n- bolts~ I'm sure you've got the picture...

HoseJob5.jpg

And remember with this as any project the carpenter's ROT~ "measure twice- cut once!"

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

thats ratsun style

Checked with the NAPA store yesterday~ and that 9801 hose fits SOOO many applications I couldn't begin to write them all down! Suffice it to say it's "popularity code A", and should be on every reasonably stocked parts store across America~ even here in Bhumfuque!

• 5 weeks later...