mounting L20B

scrubba_16

Hey guys, I am trying to mount this L20B into a 620 long wheel base. it originally was a J15 motor.

I am in way over my head. I just can't seem to get it lined up or anything. I am using a 5 speed gearbox out of a Ka24 which is a stumpy box and with using my existing mounts and a modded gearbox support x member the box sits really high.

all and any bits of help will be appreciated.

thanks

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

im about to do exactly the same thing :D except ive got a bluebird 5speed which i think is longer

got any pics of the problem?

i dunno if the engine mount brackets are exactly the same between J and L, how close is the sump to the steering linkage?

You do realize that the L20B leans about 10 degrees to the passenger side...whereas the KA trannie should be sitting about the same the other way?

Not sure of the J15 placement in bay

Even with a modified x member the pinion angle changes (no problems since no transfer case...lol)....and the tunnel might have to be cut out to address the shifter location.....and bend the shifter to fit....etc...etc.

Tried that in my 720 (Z24 to L20B)...not good...I then installed the proper L trannie/bell housing and adjusted the MMs to match the lean....much better.

You need a L bell on your trannie

The Z tranny will be leaning to the passenger side and unless you cut into the existing mount it will lift up as it is rotated. I think he said it sits too high. Sealick had this problem too..... ah there you are.

I have never done this swap, so I do not know a lot about it. I do know this. J-engines were straight up. L-engines are tilted to the right side of the truck. I do not know if the KA engine was tilted, or not. The L-20 engine may bolt to the KA transmission, but if the KA engine is straight, the transmission will be tilted.

I believe you would have a much easier time if you had a l-series transmission with the l-20-B engine, or a KA engine with the KA transmission you have.

There is also a possibility you could get a L-engine bell housing to mate the KA transmission to the L-20-B, but I am not an expert on that, or even know if such a part is available.

Hey guys thanks for your help. I have a 5 speed L gearbox but when i bolted it up the shifter is in the tray LOL. I have my brother in law who is a mechanic coming tomorrow to help. Well at least I hope he knows what he is doing. I did notice that the ka box is no leaning. tomorrow when it is all done i will post some pics for you guys and i hope that may help any one else.

thanks