keys....

Shagy

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll let you know. I got an email back from a guy that for $29.95 and my key code says he can cut one. So I might go that route. Seems like a fair price. I mean, if the code tells you how and where to cut, it shouldnt be that hard......right?

$21 dollars later and I have 2 keys that work al the outsie locks. I think there is something in the ignition, the key wont go in all the way. I tried to pul it off the colume but I didn't have the right tools with me.

I went to roca lock & key in LA. 5729 Whittier blvd. Right next to A&G audio. Girl named Carla. 323.888.6666. Only took 10 min.

usual rate,, about $15 for one key cut to code. extra key less than $5. The BS about out of date codes, again BS just trying to gouge you.

They could rekey cylinders and ignitions, for that it may be $30 per lock. Maybe more for ignition lock because drilling might be required, if my memory serves me correct.

Chances are, the ignition may have been replaced and it had an updated cylinder which had the reversed key blank.

If it had the reversed blank the key should not go in...right? I don't think its the X7 blank. The doors are X6. Both doors and hatch wor now. I lubed the ignition and got the key to go in...based on what I saw with the switch taken off, the ignition is in the "on" position.

Btw...lights, turn signals & brake lamps work :)

There is no code on the ignition. It's one key code for all three.

Even the wrong key should go all the way in, but won't unlock the column. If if goes halfway in , there's something blocking it in the cylinder barrell, dirt maybe.

haha, i unlocked my mom's 1996 crown vic the other day and started the engine. Then she hands me the key. Turns out my 1994 Mazda pickup key is a perfect match!

Then I guess 2 things...

1 - the ignition is NOT the same as the doors IE it was changed out at one time (like posted above).

2 - The tumblers are just stuck and I still need to soak them. The key DOES go in all the way now. I believe its in the "ON" position, but if thats the case, then I should not be able to take the key out, unless something is broken.

The colume lock will not engae. I brough the ingnition home with me to see if I can get it to work.

With many Datsun ignition cylinders, you can remove the key from the ON position. Even when nothing is broken. Mine works that way probably because it is worn a bit. Other Datsun key's don't work in mine, so functionally the cylinder works. Still I can pull the key out when the engine is running.

I see. I'm working with NEW keys. Maybe the tumblers are just stuck.....Its been sitting for about 5 hours with WD40 in it..I might go and try it again. I really want it to work.

To release the ignition tumblers take some stiff wire and bend a small hook in the end. Insert the wire all the way into the lock and push upwards and pull the cylinder out. there is a brass slider at the rear that holds the cylinder in place. Tape the cylinder to keep the small brass tumblers from falling out.

The brass tumblers are numbered from 0-5 and if the lock is for a different key it is possible to shift the tumblers around to get the closest fit and then file down any that sticking up a bit.

darrel...thanks for that link.

I hit a wall. I have it ready for the cylider to come out...but there is something keeping it in. I think it ahad to do with the cylinder doing in "on" and not letting this bar move down. I can get the cylinder out almost a 1/4"...but then it stops. I don't want to force it.

Do you have the wafers exposed? If you do, you can clean it out and get the wafers unstuck then put the key in to check which are too high. If all the wafers move freely, when you put the key in, all the wafers should be flush. If they aren't then the ignition key is different than the rest of the locks.

Well slap my ass and call me bob....ITS THE SAME KEY!!!!

I think there was something sticking. I took the cylinder out, cleaned the out housing, lubed the back and put it all back together. It all works. Now if I could get the motor to unlock so easily!

• 7 months later...

Sorry to bring up the past, but...

Does anyone have a Taylor key for a 510 door and trunk with a number on it? Mine looks like the shorter one on the left on the first page. My local place has over 1000 keys, but couldn't match it in their books. I did get an ignition switch key, it must've been replaced at some point.

Sorry again, just looking for some help.

Dan