86 hardbody 4x4

I just got an 86 hardbody 4x4 z24, after 20 yrs with a 620 l20b!! this is kinda diffrent for me,, so can you guys get me up to speed on this z24?? and it's 'electro injection'??? makes a lot of valve type noises adjusted them all but not much diffrence, no cam or other valve wear detectale, seems clean inside, am i hearing something else?? just above idle and up to about 2500rpm mostly,no missing or other barks or howls over 120k tho.:unsure:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Try to narrow it down using a stethoscope or a piece of rubber hose. Not familiar with the electro injection, could it be injectors? Another thought would have to be the exhaust manifold, loose or broken studs holding it on.

OK checked all the bolts, and i had set the valves to .012 when it was hot per the hood sticker,was wondering if it was an injector pump,no injectors as it has throttle body injection

how can i check the timing chain? i know the earlier models had the tensioner by oil pressure, and it sounds most like the chain i think!!

• 2 weeks later...

Z24 electro injection uses two dribblers, just like a Chevy TBI. 104 hp when new, 8.6:1 compression. Gutless they are, but quite reliable and make good torque.

Check valve lash and chain stretch as suggested above.