Hank's 510

Last weekend I borrowed a timing light and found that my timing was WAY off. It was at 5 deg ATDC!! So I adjusted it to 12 deg btdc. HUGE improvement. I used to have to let my car warm up for 10 minutes before I drove down the road, and even then if I got on the gas aggressively too early in my drive to work it would backfire. Now, I still let it warm up a bit, but not close to 10 minutes and no backfire. I am stoked.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...

So I have run into a little problem... I drove the car last Saturday but on Monday morning the car wouldn't start. It turns over but it just doesn't fire. I also drained the battery when I left it the key in the on position for about a week. Now I have to fix and test it while hooked up to another car via jumper cables... pain in the ass.

I thought at first it was a fuel issue. My fuel gauge is not working properly (i.e. empty is at 1/4, full is 3/4) and it was pretty low on fuel, but after putting 4 gallons in it, still no dice. I thought perhaps it was still a fuel issue but there is fuel in the float bowls so I think it is getting gas.

I then started trying to see if the problem was electrical and found that I was not getting any spark.

I have a matchbox distributor from a 280ZX and I found this troubleshooting guide and followed it.

http://datsun1200.com/modules/mediawiki/index.php?title=Matchbox_Testing

I found that the coil was pretty old and didn't quite meet the suggested specs so I swapped it out. Still no spark.

I then thought it was a bad ICM, so I tried to swap the matchbox with a GM ICM. Still no spark. But... I shocked the shit out of myself, i didn't know if that was a good sign or not.

I now think that it is a bad pick-up coil. According to the testing guide, the resistance of the pick-up coil should be around 400 ohms. I measure it at 800 ohms.

To be honest, I thought it was possibly a bad coil, then bad ICM, my track record sucks at diagnosing this problem so far, so who knows what is going to happen.

If anyone has any suggestions I would appreciate it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...