how do i prepare a auto trans for the road

max121

i know what you are going to say.... "Why not just go with a manual" but i am 6'6" and i have size 15 shoes 1068344350_d0e95109a8_t.jpg

so i dont think manual pedals wont work for me unless i go with a aftermarket i had a toyota in high school but i had to sell because i outgrew it LOL

my auto trans only has 68k and been sitting for 20 years is there anything i can do to save it or is it toast? (its a b&w)

i have access to a 3 speed floor shift trans thats been sitting since 95

anyone have any experience with automatic tranny's that have been sitting for a while thx

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

B/w sitting for 20 years is probably toast. Was it sealed to prevent dust and humidity from getting inside? A 20-year engine is probably ok, but autos are more precision machines. I would at least remove the pan and inspect the inside for any signs of corrosion.

Two-speed automatic is very very slow. There's no way I would put it in, the 510 3-speed automatic is far superior in every way including power and fuel economy.

I have auto trans parts that were rusting within two weeks after I took them out. It was outside for a few years under a tarp and looked fine when first removed. Sealed in the tranny could be ok. Stored indoors would help too.

If you have the early British Borg Warner with mechanical downshift cable, it can be adjusted before installation. If the car you are installing it in isn't setup for the mechanical cable I don't think the install will go at all.

If OK, drop the pan and clean it out. Torque the inner band adjust to 10 inch pounds after using a quarter inch spacer[the quarter inch drive socket handle in the bottom of your toolbox]. Install a new filter and pan gasket kit. Loosen up the lock nut on top of the transmission case. Run the inner adjust stud down and torque to 10 foot pounds. Back the stud off 1 complete turn and torque the locknut to hold. Fill with GM or late Mercomatic transmision fluid [not early Ford fluid] and you are good to go. The BW transmission was designed for the early AQATF Type A fluid. GM spec fluid is the approved substitute.