Ratsun Throttle Linkage

i've got su's waiting to be slapped on to my motor, but i haz ball joint linkage to a 32/36 weber which simply wont reach with the su's.

however, i did buy for 3 DOLLARS a bicycle brake cable that has the length i need. now i just needa sleeve and figure out a plate and adjustment deal for it.

this is where ye olde ratsun comes in. throw me some ideas on what to look for thats not a 50 dollar lokar cable so i can quit fiddling around with this puny weber.

the sleeve doesn't concern me so much as the cable adjustment idea, having had a throttle cable made of shoe lace before (yes my chuck taylors are laceless now because of a datsun at one point) the idea of ghetto is already nothing new to me. HELP PLZ! THANKS

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a no-buck idea, it worked on my 32/36 back in the day, maybe you can do something similar

10770.jpg

The factory twin Hitachi setup should already have a single point of connection for both carburetors. If your using a non-factory setup, what does it look like?

if you have no metal working skills or air tools, but don't want something that looks too hokey, use galvanized strapping(also referred to as plumbers tape). Use a very heavy gauge, and the only tools you will need for decent looking results are a hacksaw, pliers, and some time. The stuff can be used to make brackets with, and if you get strong enough strapping and use a double layer for strength(or anchor the bracket in multiple places), you can make a permanent bracket that doesn't look too hokey (without needing a welder, a torch,air tools, or a vise).

No offense man but if ya can't figure out how to route a cable ya prolly shouldn't own a datsun please save someone else the trouble when ya pawn the car off on some other poor soul

its not that it's difficult by any means, i was just curious to see how crazy some get. that first response set the bar pretty high haha. routing is simple, but i wanted to see any simple go-to options that work well. i live up the street from a go kart track and they threw me a sleeve wire and fittings for free. now its just a matter of having the time to do it!

thanks for the responses everyone, and if you have more pics of ridiculous linkages i know i'll enjoy them at least!

cheers!

I once made a nice cable setup with an '81 Toyota Corolla bellcrank and

an '83 Celica cruise control cable. It did require making stop brackets on

both ends, and attachment of the pedal end to a stock 510 "monkey link"

using a tiny "L" bracket, an M3 screw and some kind of bicycle cable clamp,

IIRC.

The easy part is that the Corolla bellcrank was a good fit on the 8mm Weber

DGV shaft...which also fit the 8mm OEM Hitachi (downdraft) shafts......and so

probably also fits Hitachi SU shafts (though I've never tried it on those). Toyota

cables are very nice quality though, and never seem to be worn out.