What motor for mikuni 44phh?

jdmdime

Hey fellow ratsuners. This is my first post on ratsun. My name is tivo. Ive been into datsuns since 2004. So far ive owned 3 510 sedans, a 510 wagon, a 521 pickup and a 411 sss. Anyway, im in quite a pickle, or so I think, I want to build a new engine for my 71 sedan but I cant figure out what to build. I want to stay period correct for this one. So l or z series is a must. Now I already have a set of mikuni 44phh duals that I want to throw in the mix. My question is what engine would fit these carbs best? I know their quite large at 844cfm so im guessing something bigger. This car is gonna be daily driven so 91 octane will be used. I know I have to stay below 10/1. Ohh I want to run my sss 219 head for this build as well. I dont mind spending a good amount on head work and dont mind a loapy idle. Basicly I want a fully built "street" setup. Its gonna be bolted to a 82 zx tranny and welded diff of the same z.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

here are some builds in mind,

L20b block, knife edged l20b crank, arp'd and shot peened l20b rods (resized big ends) l18 pistons, balanced rotating assembly and an aluminum flywheel

Some type of lz22 build

Some type of lz24 build

L20b with z24 crank

Just to get you guys an idea of what kind of build id like

hehe they came off a l20b bored to 87mm micropolished crank arp rod bolts and studs balance rotation assembly flattop pistons and aluminum fywheel but u67 open chambered head at 10.29:1 compression... something around there or with l18 pistons and a closed chamber head would be up there also

Hey fellow ratsuners. This is my first post on ratsun. My name is tivo. Ive been into datsuns since 2004. So far ive owned 3 510 sedans, a 510 wagon, a 521 pickup and a 411 sss. Anyway, im in quite a pickle, or so I think, I want to build a new engine for my 71 sedan but I cant figure out what to build. I want to stay period correct for this one. So l or z series is a must. Now I already have a set of mikuni 44phh duals that I want to throw in the mix. My question is what engine would fit these carbs best? I know their quite large at 844cfm so im guessing something bigger. This car is gonna be daily driven so 91 octane will be used. I know I have to stay below 10/1. Ohh I want to run my sss 219 head for this build as well. I dont mind spending a good amount on head work and dont mind a loapy idle. Basicly I want a fully built "street" setup. Its gonna be bolted to a 82 zx tranny and welded diff of the same z.

Well to be period correct you shouldn't include the Z series as it's 10 years newer, but you can use some internal Z or perhaps KA parts and it will pass a visual inspection as period correct. As for the Mikunis, they definitely aren't period correct. L16SSS or L18SSS Hitachi SUs on a Nissan intake would sort of be be period correct. (JDM, that is) I don't think anyone is going to mind seeing Mikunis on it.

219 head won't need much work, maybe some polishing of the ports. But the sky's the limit with what cam you want to run.

here are some builds in mind,

L20b block, knife edged l20b crank, arp'd and shot peened l20b rods (resized big ends) l18 pistons, balanced rotating assembly and an aluminum flywheel

Some type of lz22 build

Some type of lz24 build

L20b with z24 crank

Just to get you guys an idea of what kind of build id like

I wouldn't bother with a knife edge crank. It's way to high end like for racing where competition is so intense that they would go to all that bother just to gain 2-3 hp. For the street you'll never notice it.

L18 pistons? No advantage except they give you 9.915 compression.

L20B with Z24 crank... again too much bother. Plus there's a reason the Z24 is 2cm taller than the L20B. It's so the rods can be longer. Think about it. The stroke is so long and the rod so short that the crank is pulling the piston sideways in the bore. The side loading is murder on the pistons but okay for racing where the motor gets rebuilt often.

An LZ22 build? Sounds good. Get a Z22 bottom end, slip the L20B timing gear, pan and L head on it and you have instant 10% larger L20B. OR bore the Z22 block to 89mm put KA24E pistons on the Z22 rods and you have a 2.3 liter motor with 10.44 compression. (I know this is higher than you want) OR run an open chamber U67 or W58 head for 9.829 compression.The larger you can make your motor the easier it will be able to use those carbs.

Bre datsun: im surprised the weber ran so well on my l16

Datzenmike: by period correct I meant a carburated setup retaining a l head... I know you dont gain hp by knife edging, the reason I want to knife edge is to have it rev like a motorcycle. I love responsive motors. So your saying I wont gain any hp going from the dished l20 pistons to l18 pistons? You bring up a great point about the side thrust. I like the lz22 idea but wont I have a horrible problem pith pinging like bre datsun has? Sorry for all the questions.

what if I use the dohc ka pistons and my closed chamber head on the lz22 build?

Z22 bored to 89mm with closed chamber head will be 10.44.. way high.

So your saying I wont gain any hp going from the dished l20 pistons to l18 pistons?

The only difference is a slight increase in compression, which will slightly increase the thermal efficiency which will add a few hp.

ok one more option. Z22 with z24 pistons (-15cc dish) and my closed chamber.

Here is what I got. 89x92 with a 41cc chamber and a -15cc dish and a 1.25 hg thickness I got 9.993/1 cr. Is that fine on 91 pump gas?

ok one more option. Z22 with z24 pistons (-15cc dish) and my closed chamber.

Here is what I got. 89x92 with a 41cc chamber and a -15cc dish and a 1.25 hg thickness I got 9.993/1 cr. Is that fine on 91 pump gas?

Z22 block bored to 89mm and Z24 pistons, 1.2 crushed stock gasket thickness, closed chamber head = 8.859

pin height is different right? Is there a different rod combination to fix this?

KA24E and Z24 are same pin height.

Ok so I finally picked up a block. I ended up pickin up a l20b off a friend. He had rebuilt it but left it out and got a little surface rust on the cylinder walls. Its already .75 over so I think im gonna have to go 86mm. I also scored a set of new early l28 (10.9cc dish) 86mm pistons so I guess ill run that setup for a wile. I got 9.056/1 wich should work well for a street setup.

One more. You might recognize my bro in the back. Hes doing the sohc ka swap on the red sss 411.

DSC03855.jpg

My dime is still wearing its original orange coat of paint real good.