Crankshaft Pully

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Must be the woodruff key you're referring to. Can't see it breaking the pulley shaft unless it was jammed when tightening the 24mm bolt down. L20Bs would have at least 2 vee belt pulleys on them. Replace the timing cover seal when you get your pulley.

Yes it was the woodruff key. It is rounded on the shaft side and when the person who built the motor installed the pulley, it rotated up and split the end of the pulley. I had a pretty good oil leak out of the front seal (the split had worn it down). So I pulled off and thats what I found. I had my old pulley from my L18 so I installed that one. I think it did the same thing. The pulley has a slight wooble and I am getting belt dust on my front cover. I tightend to man. specs of 116-ft lb but it looks like it should set back a little further. Is there a difference between the L20B and L18 pulley? I visually thought they looked the same.

As the pulley was installed the key was pushed back and caused the problem. Try installing the pulley first and lining it up and tapping the key in after. Take your time and that should do it.

Oh yeah, make sure there isn't any pieces of the old keys jammed in behind where the pulley is going. Use a magnet, but if any pieces fall they'll be safe in the oil pan.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.