stops running after hot...

jchristians

I have a '71 521. Just had the Hitachi carb replaced w/ a 32/36 manual choke Weber carb.

I thought I needed a rebuild on the Hitachi...so, went w/ a brand new weber instead of rebuilding.

This also happened w/ the Hitachi...and is continuing w/ the new weber: after engine is good and hot....temp needle at about 1/2...truck seems to flood, press gas pedal...makes it worse, dies...sounds like it is sucking air or something???

This only happens after I have the driven the truck for awhile and it is warmed up.

My hypothesis is is that the fuel (alcohol in fuel) in the carb is boiling?? Do I need a heat shield? raise carb w/ a spacer further from engine to hopefully keep heat away?? Anyone have similar problems?? solutions to this?

Appreciate any input.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

how do you find vac leaks? choke is functional...do you mean the choke opens when truck is warmed up?(how would I know this?)...or do you mean have I tried opening up the choke after truck has warmed up and having these sputtering/dieing issues? sorry, I know nothing about carbs. thanks much

how do you find vac leaks? choke is functional...do you mean the choke opens when truck is warmed up?(how would I know this?)...or do you mean have I tried opening up the choke after truck has warmed up and having these sputtering/dieing issues? sorry, I know nothing about carbs. thanks much

The old way I learned about checking for vaccum leaks was to take a can of carb cleaner and very lightly mist around areas it may be sucking air,when the leaking area sucks in the carb cleaner their is a very noticeable change in your engine speed.Dont know much about carbs myself but it worked for me.

I think my original diagnosis was way off...

I believe it may just be sediment in my gas tank...when the fuel filter is changed everything works great...a little while later it gets clogged again and problem arises again...tank flush or new tank in order??

I think my original diagnosis was way off...

I believe it may just be sediment in my gas tank...when the fuel filter is changed everything works great...a little while later it gets clogged again and problem arises again...tank flush or new tank in order??

If it's not going to be a big deal, drop the tank and inspect it, then flush if necessary.

If you can get a hold of another tank, you can clean that one up, replace your old tank, then clean out your old one and sell it. Balances out at $0 and everyone wins. At the same time, blow out the fuel lines with compressed air to be sure theres no sediment in the lines.