L20 swap requires radiator?

SpenOne

SO excuse my noobness (and I did search!) but does an L20B setup in a 510 also require a different radiator?..

I'm doing an L16 head on an L20 block and from what i've researched here on Ratsun, im only really going to need the Timing chain kit for the L20, the timing cover and the 6bolt flywheel. When speaking to a local Datsun guy he also told me i needed a different radiator because the one i have (stock) wont cool the car well enough.

When searching i couldn't find any info on this so I figured i'd ask.

Also, what compression does an L16 head + L20B Block end up as?...

....thanks in advance guys :D

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the head casting number. Usually the L16 came with a 210 head but apparently it rarely came with an A87 head also. The casting number is behind the fuel pump between the #1 and #2 spark plug and looks like this...

headA-87.jpg

The 210 (if you have it) has a small combustion chamber and small ports and valves. It is rumored to have been designed for the L13 or L14 engine and is a bit small for the L16. It will work on the L20B, I have done this back in the 70s, but the motor will not reach it's power potential. The A87 would be a much better choice.

The car will run with an L16 rad, again I did it with an L20B powered 521 back in the day. There is a chance of overheating on very hot summer days in stop and go driving depending where you are. I never had a problem.

When I put a L20b block in my datsun 521 pickup which came with a L16, I did not change the radiator, and It cools fine. I also put a 2500cc diesel engine in a 1969 datsun PU that had the J13(1300cc) block originally, I used the J13 radiator and it cools the SD25 diesel engine fine also. I don't think I would worry about it to much as the blocks are basicly the same. wayno