Sorry, Titan Wheel Question Again Please Help!

rivdat620

Ok well here we go, I went to a tire shop yesterday to try on a used titan wheel that they ordered in for a test fit, and were going to gladly sell me a set for $250 a wheel HA! Anyways the tech put the truck on the rack and tried it finger tight on the front of my stock 74 620 with drums. I told him not to put a tire on because I wasnt sure that it would even be close. Keep in mind that this wheel was not bored so it wasnt sitting perfect. When the wheel was turned towards the right it appeared to touch the sway bar and when turned to the left it appeared to be so close to the frame that with a tire it would definitely rub. I searched on here and read the discussions and everyone spoke of how easy and beautifully these rims fit. So what the hell am I doing wrong?

I spoke with Pacific Coast Datsun (Mark) today on the phone and we were discussing the geometry of the front end when it is on the rack or sitting normal on the ground and were unsure whether or not there is that much difference in the space between front of drum and back of wheelwell in the two positions. He felt my best bet would be to go back and have them put the tire on and get it on the ground to check clearances, I agree so that is what I will do.

Question: Are these wheels just too big for my truck? Please say no because they look "F"ing awesome in person. Great in pictures on here but awesome in person!!!!!!

Thanks, and again sorry for the redundant Titan wheel question!

• Like 1
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Your most likely not doing anything wrong. When your truck is jacked up in the air, your suspension is at full droop. This effectively shortens your control arms and might cause a bit of interference.

Now, if you compressed the suspension to ride height when checking fitment then ignore that.

I used 1/4" spacers on my wheels ('77 620 for reference) and just barely rubbed at full lock. It wasn't even noticable. I did have a shiney spot on the strut rod though, where the tire touched it on occasion. Never caused any problems.

Can't really comment on a 620 but my 521 does rub some when turning full left or right(not much). Tires rub on the inside of the fender well.The tires i'm using up front are 225 45 18 with 1/4" spacers for the wheels. If the 620 hub/drum is the same as a 521 your gonna have to grind down the hub , use a spacer , or bore out the wheels to sit flush. You can probably get away with pounding the area that rubs in with a mallet . See J2eDeYe's post. You shouldn't have a problem seeing that many 521 and 620's are running these nowadays. $250 per wheel is a bit expensive btw. You might be able to find a set for around 2 bills if you check your local craigslist or fleabay maybe. Good luck