What year is my 620?

gingg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Check the build date on the driver's door jam. This is the build date and not necessarily the model year.

From March or April '72 till Sept '73 the L16 motor was used and the fender emblem looks like this:

5spdemblemLarge.jpg

From Oct '73 till Sept '74 the L18 was used.

Guest DatsuNoob

When I used to do repo's and impound cars, I use to be able to figure out a car's VIN by the 10th digit. Not sure if this applies to old azz rigs or not, but "P" is '93. Go up or go down with the alphabet and yr and you can check.

Check the build date on the driver's door jam. This is the build date and not necessarily the model year.

From March or April '72 till Sept '73 the L16 motor was used and the fender emblem looks like this:

5spdemblemLarge.jpg

From Oct '73 till Sept '74 the L18 was used.

Mine was a japanese made one i think, its a j15.. so umm yeah lol its got the old datsun 1500 badges on the guards, but so did all my other ones and they were all like 76-79s

Like pharouh said, if youve got the door tag it will give you the month and year it was built.

Did you guys have the same deal with the vehicle being given a year on the title when it was sold as opposed to the actual build year? My goon is titled as a 72 (when it was originally sold) but its build was early 71. The 71 2dr I just got has a build date and is titled as a 71...

Australia got different versions than we got in the states... Aside from RHD, drum brakes (for all years I think) and wing windows, you also had different engines... Did they ever come with the Ls over there or was it just the J series?

Our 620s are all Japan-made too, but come with L-series engine. The Japan-market 620s mostly came with J15.

As far as I can tell, the Japan domestic market doesn't do Model Year like we do in USA (typically from October) but go by Calendar year.

In any 620 there are two dates:

* Build date

* Title "year" date

But Japan didn't mark them by year. USA models had a dated build plate added per government requirement.

Instead, the parts catalogs (or a bulletin) listed the Chassis numbers for each month.