1. 1. Can they be thrashed?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The ring gear diameter is what determines the size. The H-190 is 190mm or 7 1/2".

Their rating isn't hp but the torque they can handle. The H-190 is good for about 185 ft. lbs. of torque. Open diffs force ALL the power to be passed through the spinning side and spider gears to one axle. This, they were never designed to do and they eventually WILL 'blow up'. Just a matter of time. The larger the diff the longer they will last but it's all relative. Add to this the sudden drive line shocks from clutch dumps, lack of oil level checks and routine oil changes and the often unknown mileage on a 30+ year old truck. (speedo only goes to 99,999, could be 1,2 3 hundred thousand on top of that) The H-190 is practically bullet proof and will easily outlast your truck. It is more than tough enough for any 4 cylinder.

Mine had synthetic in it........ which is so slippery that it started leaking out the pinion seal. It was in the winter/spring and I wasn't checking under there. By the time I noticed the growling it was too late.

• 11 months later...

my housing has a big dent from where a tooth broke off and shot into it and i had to jb weld a hold in the aluminum housing from im assuming the same thing. thats with a burnout wearing out a set of tires to the steel though burnouts and a welded diff though. shits been holding up pretty well other than that

• 8 months later...

A Ford 9" actually has a 9 inch diameter ring gear. The housing of a 9" is much larger than 9 inches.

If you have a high-torque V8 in your Datsun (something more powerful than a stock 350 SBC), you might want to swap in a Nissan H233 rear axle assembly out of a D21 or D22 truck (Hardbody/Navara). Which is 9.1".

To add to the open differential comment -- yes it will blow up if you keep spinning the rear wheel (donuts or burnouts). So you get a limited-slip (LSD) and that won't happen. But now it is even more likely to break teeth or even snap an axle because there is limited slip. Somethings gotta give.