Another clutch/trans issue after motor swap

john510

I finally got my L20b installed and running and i cant get proper adjustment with the clutch.It shifts fine and the clutch doesnt slip.The problem is as soon as you let the clutch pedal up at all it starts to move the car,there is no free play once you start releasing the pedal.I bled it good twice,i adjusted the slave cylinder and master all the way in,all the way out, but it will not change the pedal feel.Ive done clutches in 510's probably 10 times over the years and never had this problem.This is a 200 mm flywheel and brand new clutch kit for the roadster on a roadster 5 speed trans.I used the bearing collar that was on the trans,its been on there since ive owned it.The only thing thats different now is a new motor and clutch.Help please.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like the clutch IS slipping(only partially engaging/not being allowed to fully disengage). The T/O bearing collar must match the pressure plate, not the transmission. Did you compare the pressure plate that came off to the one that you installed?

If the T/O bearing collar is incorrect, even when fully backed off, it's still pressing on the pressure plate diaphragm springs. I bought a 510 once where this was the case.

Thanks for the replies.I went through everything again and got a bit of adjustment that is better than it was.But not like i know it should be.The new p/p is identical to the one i replaced except for manufacturer.It doesnt seem like the clutch is slipping,it will bark the tires going through the gears.Pedal height ive adjusted all over the place and it doesnt change much with where the clutch starts grabbing.While looking things over again i noticed my master cylinder is a 5/8 and the slave is 3/4.I dont know if that matters.Do you guys know the measurement for the bearing collar on a roadster ? Idont want to take the tranny out and find out ive got the right parts in it. thanks again.

I think you should have used a 510 T/O bearing and collar. T/O bearing should be the same for sure as the 510 since its a 200mm disc.

If you used a Roadster trans the colar that might be it. But Im not positive. if you can find a part number and x ref it.

you sure you trans arm was greased and not jamming up ,put on the spring that holds the arm to the bearing in OK?

I have used Asco Roadster P/P also and they are fine.

Yes, all parts are clean and lightly greased.The spring that goes on the arm should be fine.I just read another post about a squeky/grinding noise and bullet describes my problem better than i did.I have a small throwout/engagement like less than an inch.I will keep dickin with it before i pull the tranny back out.

• 1 month later...

I figured i should update this.The problem was the clutch lever which i replaced.I got it out of a 280z at the junkyard.The original one developed a crack,i welded it up about 15 years ago,well it cracked again so i figured i should just replace it.I noticed the 280z clutch lever did look a little thicker and it turns out it was hitting the back of the hole it goes through on the transmission,not allowing enough throw for the throwout bearing.I ground it down until it had plenty of movement.The clutch now feels like it should and has plenty of adjustment.Nothing worse then having a new motor and clutch parts and have to tear it all apart right after you put it all together.